Miss Deaf Texas Killed by a train

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Deaf Texas Killed by a train

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- The reigning Miss Deaf Texas died after being struck by a train,
    officials said.

Tara Rose McAvoy, 18, was walking Monday near railroad tracks when she was struck by a Union Pacific train, authorities said.

A witness told Austin television station KTBC the train sounded its horn right up until the accident occurred.

McAvoy, who had been deaf since birth, won the state title in June and represented the state "with dignity and pride," state pageant director Laura Loeb-Hill told The Associated Press via e-mail Monday night.

McAvoy was to represent Texas at the Miss Deaf America pageant this summer, Loeb-Hill said.

McAvoy graduated last year from the Texas School for the Deaf, attended Austin Community College and then started at Gallaudet University in Washington, D.C., in January, but had returned to Texas, Loeb-Hill said.
    This is sad, but also very amusing at the same due to that eyewitness report...
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

In my experience, most deaf people are ACUTELY aware of which situations are and aren't a problem with their limited/nonexistant hearing.

Which begs the question:

"What was she DOING walking along the train tracks alone?"
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

Unfortunately, it is almost inconceivable that she was not aware of the train.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

The story does sound funny, but I agree with Chuck. Had to have been a suicide.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I'd have to walk the tracks again but wouldn't she have felt the vibrations from the oncoming train? I know that at some point you can feel the vibration, just not sure how close the train has to be before you can feel it.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Sad...

But...Miss Deaf State/America? C'mon...

edit:
            Originally posted by ZokesPro
            I'd have to walk the tracks again but wouldn't she have felt the vibrations from the oncoming train? I know that at some point you can feel the vibration, just not sure how close the train has to be before you can feel it.
            Exactly, and at what Gurm was hinting at. Actually, she most probably felt it much sooner than you would...perhaps even horns.
            Last edited by Nowhere; 14 March 2006, 12:18.

Comment

My sister is deaf, and yes - they are extremely sensitive to vibrations.
              We used to live on a farm house with train tracks running about 1/4 mile away, and she could tell when the train was going by.
              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

This has to be a suicide.

Also, notice she killed herself after starting college (at THE school for the deaf) and dropping out.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Deaf beauty queen was text-messaging when hit by train

I guess maybe there is something worse than driving while on the cellphone.
                  Chuck
                  秋音的爸爸

Comment

Is that enough to distract someone from not feeling the immense vibrations caused by an oncoming train??
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                    X