Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TB Santa Cruz/Via Chipset/G400/RR-G problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TB Santa Cruz/Via Chipset/G400/RR-G problem.

Hopefully I can get some insight from the posters here

Heres a rundown of my relevant hardware:
    Asus P3V4X mobo (Via Apollo Pro 133a)
    P3 500
    256MB RAM
    Matrox G400 MAX
    RR-G Capture
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Audio
    --
    Win98SE (finally ditched ME)
    Via 4-in-1 4.29
    Powerdesk 5.41 / Vid Tools 1.52
    Santa Cruz residing on an exclusive IRQ.
    --
    For awhile I have been running Windows ME with my G400/RR-G flawlessly. Great captures, decent performance all around. My only problem was sub-par sound, I was using a cheap sound card. After hearing good things about the Santa Cruz, I picked it up.
    Realizing that Win98SE ran smoother on another system of mine, I decided to do a complete format/install, and went back to 98SE.

After doing the necessary driver installations (network, sound, video, 4-in-1's, etc), my system appears to run smoothly, but I cannot shutdown or restart.
    It seems as though when I install the Santa Cruz drivers, I am able to shut down/restart, but as soon as I install the PowerDesk drivers, the problem starts.

I've tried numerous things, including multiple reinstalls, different drivers, different PCI slots, etc. I cannot rid my system of the shutdown problems. (even tried another reinstall of ME, same problem). Uninstallation/reinstallation of the Santa Cruz Control Panel causes blue screen VXD errors, forcing me to reinstall windows.
    Can anyone offer some advice on this problem?

Side note: If I skip the install of the Santa Cruz Control Panel (only install the bare-bones files from the CD), I am able to shutdown/restart with my PowerDesk drivers. But when I try to install the SC Control Panel (with the audio features I want to use), the problem arises.

I appreciate any help that can be provided.
    thanks!
    Terry
    WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
    Pentium 4 1.7 Abit TH7II-RAID
    HD (boot): Seagate Barracuda ATA IV 60GB
    HD (RAID-0): WD WD400BB 80GB (2x40GB)
    Kingston 256MB 800MHZ RDRAM
    ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
    Hauppauge Wintv #401
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Wanted to add that I have tried both the Santa Cruz installation files from the packaged CD and the most recent from their web site.
    WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
    ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
    Hauppauge Wintv #401
    Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

Have you installed the Win98SE shutdown patch? Shutdown problems are indemic in the release version of '98SE.

As far as the VxD problem goes, what VxD is it reporting as faulty?

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dr Mordrid:
        Have you installed the Win98SE shutdown patch? Shutdown problems are indemic in the release version of '98SE.

As far as the VxD problem goes, what VxD is it reporting as faulty?

Dr. Mordrid
        </font>
        Thank you Dr. Mordrid! I installed the shutdown patch, then gave the TB Control Panel install another try. Shutdown/Restart works fine now, and there are no VxD errors.

Do you know of any other major issues with 98SE that are not listed on Windows Update?

thanks again,
        terry

[This message has been edited by AmSci (edited 22 May 2001).]
        WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
        ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
        Hauppauge Wintv #401
        Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

Other than security, USB and IEEE-1394 updates most of the improvements you can make fall into the "tweak" catagory.

Most of those that would help editing can be handled by using Outer Technologies Cacheman tool and setting it for the "Multimedia" preset.

There is also this page that lists bugs, fixes & tweaks;

http://members.aol.com/axcel216/

Just don't drop off your chair when you see how many there are.....

Congratulations on ditching ME. What a useless piece of incompatable c***.

Dr. Mordrid

[This message has been edited by Dr Mordrid (edited 23 May 2001).]

Comment

My coworker thinks ME is better because;
            It's nicer to look at and it searches after drivers on cd's on it's own

I realy don't think that those things can justifie a OS change...
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

My experience with ME is that it's more likely to be incompatable with existing gear. It's slower running, the disk performance is reduced and the Win2K features they tried to add broke a lot of stuff.

IMHO it's a short term cash machine for Microsoft while they're waiting for the much delayed XP to get finished (if it ever does).

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Dr Mordrid:
                My experience with ME...It's slower running, the disk performance is reduced...</font>
                Exactly. I've been running a solid 98SE system since the fix you recommended, and I notice a significant difference in speed/disk performance. And thanks for the link for the fixes, its amazing how many there are!

I'd also like to recommend Totalidea's WinRAM Booster Professional 2001. It performs the tweaks that Cacheman does, and also can clear RAM, and "align" files on the computer.
                http://www.totalidea.de/

Technoid, I also liked the nicer look of ME. But I just copied over the .dll files that contained ME's icons, and use them in 98
                WinXP Pro/Win2K Pro
                ATI Radeon 8500 128MB
                Hauppauge Wintv #401
                Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Comment

Working...
                X