Laptop Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptop Suggestions

I'm looking at replacing my Dell 600M Laptop that takes forever to load, even after reloading the OS and having a Gig of Memory on it. I had my heart set on getting a Dell 1705 to replace it with, but Dell desides to drop the Geforce Go 7800 opition on it, so there goes that idea...

Some Things I'm looking for:

Intel Duo CPU
    1 GB RAM
    Decent performing Video card for playing games
    15-17 inch Display

For about $1500 bucks....
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

There's a serious problem with their site. Check out the tech specs and it says that the GeForce Go 7800 is optional but NO where can you actually choose it for the E1705!?!?

You can order the exact same laptop from Canada and get a 7800 in it with a Duo core for under 2K$ CND.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Unless this is a desktop replacement, you don't want a 17" screen. They are expensive and simply too bulky for travel. A 15.4" widescreen or 15.1" 4:3 is about the biggest you want for travel.

I guess they are reserving the Go 7800 GTX video card for the XPS line exclusively, but haven't updated the XPS line with Core Duo yet

If you can wait, I would say hold on until the Memron dual-core mobile platform hits later this year and move with that. If the prelimenary results are any indication, it will be worth the wait.

Maybe by then nV will have their SLI for notebook technology out, and the price of the Go 7800-series will drop as it will no longer be the highest end solution.

Jammrock
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
        Maybe by then nV will have their SLI for notebook technology out, and the price of the Go 7800-series will drop as it will no longer be the highest end solution.

Jammrock
        Hypersonic already has a notebook with SLI from nV. Aviator AX9!

Comment

MacBook?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
            MacBook?
            I thought about...but I use my laptop mostly for school work which is geared for MS apps.

Unless this is a desktop replacement, you don't want a 17" screen. They are expensive and simply too bulky for travel. A 15.4" widescreen or 15.1" 4:3 is about the biggest you want for travel.
            Well its more or less a semi-desktop replacement. I wont be lugging it around everywhere, just want a portable computer I can use some place other then my house.

Comment

Originally posted by ZokesPro
              There's a serious problem with their site. Check out the tech specs and it says that the GeForce Go 7800 is optional but NO where can you actually choose it for the E1705!?!?

You can order the exact same laptop from Canada and get a 7800 in it with a Duo core for under 2K$ CND.

They had the Go 7800 as an option up till Tuesday/Wednesday of last week. I'm hoping its just something temporary or whatnot

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                They had the Go 7800 as an option up till Tuesday/Wednesday of last week. I'm hoping its just something temporary or whatnot

That's a bummer cause the 7800 is better for gaming than the x1400. Also, just noticed that they changed it on the canadian site too! Damn. It was a sweet laptop for the price too.

But on the U.S. site it still says it's available (in the tech specs), so maybe you can call them up and harasse them about their site and demand a 7800 for your E1705 otherwise you'll never buy there again. You just might get what you want.
                Last edited by ZokesPro; 13 March 2006, 13:22. Reason: spelling

Comment

I've had good experiences with MTech.

They have dual-core Athlons, and a similar type of Intel-based machine. The highest resolution screen you can get is a 17" 1920x1200. (also available in 15.4"!) I'm considering getting a D900K, since the display can show full-size HD1080 with a little room to spare.

A the larger models all seem to have upgradeable video, and I've seen NVidia 6800, 7800, and Quadro FX1400 (go versions), plus an ATI X700-ish option.

-Steve

Comment

1920*1200 on a 15" screen sounds insane
                    me wants + a magnifying glass
                    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                      1920*1200 on a 15" screen sounds insane
                      me wants + a magnifying glass
                      Nah, just increase the font size, up the DPI, and turn on cleartype. Looks nice using a high res with a high DPI. It's one of the thing MS wants to do with Vista to make the desktop look as good or better than an Apple setup.

Comment

I use a HP nx9600 here with the 17" widescreen and I love it! The res sounds hard to see, but it is quite nice.
                        "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

well ... the mystery around the disappearing nV Go 7800 has been solved. Dell updated the E1705 with an optional ATi X1400 256 MB video card.

Though by the time I was done configuring the laptop my price was $2500 ... but for $1650'ish you can get:

Core Duo 1.83 GHz
                          XP MCE
                          17" UltraSharp WS display
                          60 GB 7200 RPM HDD (-$88 for the 5400 RPM version)
                          upgrade to CD/DVD burner
                          wifi g
                          256 MB ATi X1400 HyperMemory
                          53 WHr battery

Not too shabby. To hit the $1500 mark you can down the screen to a non-ultrasharp, or downgrade the processor to 1.66 GHz or get a 5400 RPM drive and the burner.

Something along thos lines...

Jammrock

Comment

Yeah I know you can get the X1400, but IIRC the X1400 isnt that great for gaming.

Comment

Working...
                            X