Site usefulness - Poll, pls rpnd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site usefulness - Poll, pls rpnd

It seems to me that a large number of people visiting this forum are not aware of the amount of background that exists here.

I'm know that a lot of folks arrive here by accident via the MURC network, but do they know that the forum is actually a window onto www.desktopvideoworld.co.uk ?

It's real unfortunate the the old DTVWorld.com got dumped when Euniverse (may they rot in hell) took over the GA network, but the short side is that many sites got shafted.

It is possible to get the whole of the desktopvideoworld network hosted elsewhere, but as it is gonna cost me a substantial amount I want to know that the service is required.

If I don't get a substantial support vote within the next week or so, I'm cutting my losses and getting out. Sorry, but since I'm only getting 40 hits a day I'm no longer prepared to financially support a loser. I guess that Ant will still be running the forum, but that is yet to be discussed

I'd ask all regulars (or others that wish to see the site prosper) to indicate their feelings by posting to this thread and/or emailing me.

Thanks

Chris
    T_I

I used to read MURC and these forums daily, but now I usually just skip straight into these forums and check out MURC every week or so. I must confess to not visiting DTVW very often (only a handful of times).
    Please visit http://spincycle.n3.net - My System: Celeron 300a(@450/2v),Abit BH6, 128mb RAM, Win98SE, Marvel G200TV, Diamond MX300, Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 20g system drive, DiamondMax Plus 40 capture drive, IBM 8g Deskstar program drive, Adaptec 2940UW SCSI, 9gb Barracuda UWSCSI video drive, Hitachi GD-2500 DVD-Rom, UltraPlex CD-Rom, Plexwriter CD-recorder, Viewsonic PT775, Soundworks 4.1 speakers

Comment

I must admit I don't visit DTVW often but I do check this forum, at least once a day, as it is my primary source of information about Matrox and video stuff (HW/SW) in general.
      Just my 0.02$

Comment

Chris

Like the others, I visit the forum regularly and the back-up site less so (specifically, when I am seeking something I believe to be there). I don't think the number of hits is really significant. Quality counts more than quantity.

I Googled "desktop video" just to see. The defunct .com appeared halfway down the second page, with a non-existent link. The .co.uk site was conspicuous by its absence. I then tried "desktop video uk" and nothing appeared in the first 6 pages (by which time, a searcher would give up). If you were on the first page, you would certainly get more hits, but would it make you feel happier? If so, get the site spidered by all the search engines (it may take 6 months or so).

I, for one, would be extremely sorry to see you call it a day, either forumwise or sitewise. You do make a fantastic public contribution and I laud you for it.

For once, I'll sign off slightly differently as a mark of esteem.

----------------
        Brian, the not-so-terrible
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

As with anything that begins with enthusiasm and elan, we eventually reach a point with it where the thing can easily become a chore. You've done an exceptional and wonderful job helping everyone out over the years with the Rainbow Runner site (as it first came onto the landscape), and I'm sure that I am not the only one who has more to say in thanks than I can possibly get across in one post.

However, the site has obviously lost its appeal in the evolution of new products over the past year or so, most notably the DV stuff. I would not be surprised at a low rate of hits, at this point in time. It would be remiss of us all, however, not to laud your efforts and persistence through the life of the site. But no-one can fault you for reaching a point where it would have to ultimately be put to bed.

Jeff B

Comment

Sorry to say I'm with JeffB in his conclusion. I visit the site every day, several times a day, but as a portal to the forum.

I think most of the problem started when you took that job out of town a while back. The decreased frequency of updates hurt it a lot, and the dead link when GA dropped the ball hurt even more. I've answered several posts on rec.video.desktop inquiring about where DTVW went, but.....

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I've been coming to this forum almost every day since I started looking at Matrox products. I'd hate to see the forum go, but as to the other site, well, I didn't even know it existed until recently. The URL I go to is http://forums.murc.ws . It wasn't until someone refered to this place as "Desktop Video World" that I asked what they meant and found out about the link.

So, this is a long winded way of saying that as long as this forum stays, I'm happy.

Michelle

Comment

I visit desktopvideoworld less often since the "incident", but still find myself there at least 2-3 times a month.

I visit the forum daily and definitely miss it when internet access is unavailable.

You have done a fantastic job and I will be sorry to see the "world" go, but understand if you must move on to bigger and better things.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies so far, sometimes it gets very difficult to focus from a viewpoint so close. I haven't made any decisions yet on what course to take, that's something that I'll be considering over an extended period - one doesn't throw away years worth of work lightly.

I think that what I find most disturbing is that many folk don't actually know where they are, that there is no "brand imprint" on the forum.

The rest of the comments are adressable, and basically need me to decide how much of my time I want to spend supporting you guys and how much I want to spend out in the garden, decorating the house, etc.

Back into thought mode....

Comment

Hello Chris

There is very rarely a day that goes by without me visiting at least once this forum and I will be very sad to see the demise of it but I would agree whole heartedly with the Doc's and jefb's comments.

Whatever you decide to do rest assured that over the last several years you have provided an invaluable service to all who have passed through your virtual doors and I think you deserve a huge vote of thanks.

Best Regards

Pooh.
                    ASUS P4S533, P4 2.53Ghz, 1.25Gb PC2700, 40Gb System HD 120Gb AV HD, WinXp Pro

Comment

Seeing how current news is dated April 19, its easy to see why I'm out of the habbit of checking there. Its a good resource for newbies or looking up something I know was talked about in the past but its too stale once you actually get things working well enough to be editing.

This forum is my first stop on the web pretty much everyday I'm at a computer.

--wally.

Comment

While I haven't been the most avid poster to this site I think I am right up there with checking the site at least once a day. It is my best source for material on my Rainbow Runner, G200 Marvel, and lastly my G400 Marvel. More updates would be nice but other aspects of life do call.

No matter if you decide to call it quits, continue with the site, or take a different direction my reply to this covers whatever conclusion you arrive at:

THANK YOU! You are "Da Man" in my book!
                        Riktar
                        Perspective cannot be taught. It must be learned.

Comment

Since I got into editing video about a year or so ago, I've visited this forum just about every day. I'm don't even remember how I intitially got here. I have a link straight to the MURC forums.

I'd hate to see the forum go...
                          - Mark

Core 2 Duo E6400 o/c 3.2GHz - Asus P5B Deluxe - 2048MB Corsair Twinx 6400C4 - ATI AIW X1900 - Seagate 7200.10 SATA 320GB primary - Western Digital SE16 SATA 320GB secondary - Samsung SATA Lightscribe DVD/CDRW- Midiland 4100 Speakers - Presonus Firepod - Dell FP2001 20" LCD - Windows XP Home

Comment

I've been here for a fair share of time (about 2 years official and 6 months before that unofficially), and to be completely honest, I originally found this forum through www.murc.ws From there, I visted the forums every day, but I access it only through the www.murc.ws site. I never knew about the desktopvideoworld till about 3 months ago when it was mentioned in a thread. No really...

Looks like some serious advertising is needed here...

I'll stick a link up somewhere I control to give a hand.

J1NG

Comment

Here is my support for your work and site. I was unaware of the real possibility of this info and your support leaving until I just now read this thread. I just did not keep up with all the events. I hope (really hope) that you can keep your links and website going, and hope that it does not become a financial drain. There has been lots of websites and businesses going down over the last year, but until they happen to sites you like, need, use.... you just figure they will continue. Your info and site has been very helpful for countless people, but as we click, read, and contribute, we do not see what goes on behind the scenees with finances, income, and where the Hobby part ends, and the business begins. (hope I did not lose anyone). I am trying to say, don't go, we need your site and info, and your continued relationship with Matroxusers forums. (MURC). You will find a way, lots of people are still new to digitial video and they will be making summer movies and looking for your knowledge to help them work with their movies on computers. By the end of Summer, you will see and upsurge in hits on your website and participation. IMHO

------------------
                              stevenscott
                              (ramstein@virtualairforce.com)
                              http://www.virtualairforce.com/
                              -----------------------------
                              My Photo Website (they really clipped the free goodies, badly):

http://community.webshots.com/user/skialps/
                              ----------------
                              ==============
                              Home:
                              Network
                              --------
                              D-Link Router
                              -----------
                              USB HUB with power Indicator lights
                              -----------------
                              Computer #1
                              Com21 Cable Modem

HP OfficeJet Pro 1175Cse 4/1 printer/Scanner/Fax/copier
                              HP Photo Scanner
                              -------------------
                              Video Camcorder (digital):
                              JVC GR-DVF31U
                              ================

----------------
                              Computer(s)
                              8-17-03

my computer profile:

=========

Ramstein
                              F4, IL-2FB, EAW, CFS2
                              -------------------
                              Ramstein's Computer:
                              Asus P4P800 Deluxe 800 FSB
                              P4 2.4c 800 FSB CPU
                              256 PC3200 Kingston DDR Ram
                              PowMax case with 400 Watt Power Suply
                              ATI Radeon 9000 64MB
                              Saitek X36 USB Flight Control Stick
                              Windows XP Pro
                              Shamrock 17" Monitor (old but still working perfect).
                              Mitsumi 4801TE 4x8CDRom Drive Burner
                              Panasonic 32x CDRom Drive
                              2Cool PC Cooler (Fan)

=====

My New computer
                              Ramstein
                              F4, IL-2FB, EAW, CFS2
                              -------------------
                              Ramstein's Computer:
                              Asus P4P800 Deluxe 800 FSB
                              P4 2.4c 800 FSB CPU
                              256 PC3200 Kingston DDR Ram
                              PowMax case with 400 Watt Power Suply
                              Matrox Marvel G400 Video Card (old but good).
                              Saitek X36 USB Flight Control Stick
                              Windows XP Pro
                              Shamrock 17" Monitor (old but still working perfect).
                              Mitsumi 4801TE 4x8CDRom Drive Burner
                              Panasonic 32x CDRom Drive
                              2Cool PC Cooler (Fan)

==============

Newegg.com

Asus P4P800 Deluxe MB
                              P4 2.4c 800 FSB CPU
                              Windows XP pro Full
                              = $455 shipped

Kingston PC3200 Daul DDR Ram 128 MB x (2) = $70 shipped

Maxtor 120 GB Hard Drive $120 - $60 in rebates = $60

PowMax case with P4 400 Watt Power Supply = $30 out the door.

Total = $615
                              -----------
                              the rest I already had..

======
                              ====

Comment

Working...
                              X