Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guys make me look good...

Ok been a looong time since I did this sort of maths so can anyone prove
    (cosecA - sinA)(secA - cosA) = 1/(tanA + cotA) and post your equations?

my nephew thinks I should be able to do it.

IIRC you have to express them in terms of e^i*whatever (you should be able to find the equivalencies easily enough on the interweb) and then it should drop out...
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I would have certainly been able to help 25-30 yrs ago, but normal life/work have made my mind mush
      might have something to do with the cosine law, possibly
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

use the identities found at the bottom of the page http://www.mathematicshelpcentral.co...n_Formulas.pdf
        if you still cannot get it then I will try it - but I gotta crack open my psych text for my midterm tomorrow
        Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
        Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Piece of cake

First distribute and change the inverted sine and cosine functions to regular sine and cosines.
          left hand side of the equation...

[1/(sinA*cosA)]-[cosA / sinA]-[sinA / cosA]+cosA*sinA

Next get a common denominator in the middle terms and this becomes

[1/{sinA*cosA)]-[(cos^2 A + sin^2 A)/sinA*cosA] +cosA*sinA

Since (cos^2 A + sin^2 A)=1 the left side of the equation becomes just

cosA*sinA

The right side:

get rid of tan and cot by replacing with (sin/cos) and (cos/sin) respectively. Do the same common denominator step as on the left and you end up with

cosA*sinA=cosA*sinA
          Just a month left of grad school!

Comment

What do you know: One actually DOES learn something in Grad School.

Nicely done, the_main_lobe.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Originally posted by the main lobe
              First distribute and change the inverted sine and cosine functions to regular sine and cosines.
              left hand side of the equation...

[1/(sinA*cosA)]-[cosA / sinA]-[sinA / cosA]+cosA*sinA

Next get a common denominator in the middle terms and this becomes

[1/{sinA*cosA)]-[(cos^2 A + sin^2 A)/sinA*cosA] +cosA*sinA

Since (cos^2 A + sin^2 A)=1 the left side of the equation becomes just

cosA*sinA

The right side:

get rid of tan and cot by replacing with (sin/cos) and (cos/sin) respectively. Do the same common denominator step as on the left and you end up with

cosA*sinA=cosA*sinA
              excellent stuff mate and thanks a bunch!

Comment

hope that helps ...

"Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Nice one main lobe Clearly I'm a little rusty...
                  DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by DukeP
                    What do you know: One actually DOES learn something in Grad School.

Nicely done, the_main_lobe.

~~DukeP~~
                    Learn something yes... learn something useful? No

Comment

LOL @Rakido

Somehow that picture reminds me of my maths classes in school
                      Asus H97 Pro Gamer| Intel i5 4690K| Noctua NH-U9B SE2 | Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 3GB | Soundblaster ZxR | 8 GB Kingston HyperX Genesis DDR3 1600| LG 24 MP88HV-S

Comment

What would remind me of my college math classes would be someone from China or Argentina with absolutely zero communication skills silently working problems on the board for the entire hour and expecting us to learn something from it.

Comment

Don't forget to include the cases in which the calculation fails (due to division by zero and such).

(they found this extremely important at our university)

Jörg
                          pixar
                          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                          X