My AMD Opteron 165 OC on Asus A8R-MVP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My AMD Opteron 165 OC on Asus A8R-MVP

I got it up to 2.53Ghz or so, but in order to do so, I had to sacrifice RAM timings.

However, this is my highest OC so far with agressive memory timings.

My OCZ Memory from newegg was apparently rated at 2-3-2-5, but I can't get it to run at any faster than 2.5-3-2-5. Even the SPD says it;s 2.5-3-2-5. Sounds like false advertising to me.

I'm using a Big Typhoon HSF, a CCBWE Opteron 165 from Mwave, OCZ Platinum Memory from Newegg, an an Asus A8R-MVP.

Max CPU Temp I saw (on an open case) was 118*F. I as running 1.4x Volts on the core, ~2.8V or so on the RAM.

Also, I'm not sure if it affects performance or anything, but I had to run the HT link at 800Mhz. When I put it to 1Ghz, I wasn't having very good luck.

I stress tested my setup by running Prime95 along side of the SiSoft Sandra Burn in Wizard for 8 hours.

Anyway, without further ado:

Nice
    .. must resist upgrade till creditcards are paid for..
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Set the 133 MHz divider for the RAM, just for the sake of seeing how far the CPU goes
      Also, I'm not sure if it affects performance or anything, but I had to run the HT link at 800Mhz. When I put it to 1Ghz, I wasn't having very good luck.
      You're at 1160 Mhz with the 800MHz (x4) HT divider and 290fsb for the CPU. Overclocking the HT bus does increase your performance but I'm not sure if you can go past 1200 or 1300 stable, with the 5x divider you were at around 1450Mhz.
      Last edited by Admiral; 11 March 2006, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
        Set the 133 MHz divider for the RAM, just for the sake of seeing how far the CPU goes
        I did, but for some reason, the system won't post with the 133 divider, regardless of what I set the CPU speed for.

You're at 1160 Mhz with the 800MHz (x4) HT divider and 290fsb for the CPU.
        Ahh, that's how it works. x4 times my FSB.

So 1Ghz is x5, 800Mhz is x4, 600Mhz is x3, and so on. That solves that riddle.

So my only real options are x4 (@1160HT) and x3 (@870HT).

I'm assuming that these run at 1000HT by default?

[QUOTE]Overclocking the HT bus does increase your performance but I'm not sure if you can go past 1200 or 1300 stable, with the 5x divider you were at around 1450Mhz.[QUOTE]

That clears some things up for me, thanks!

Comment

I'm assuming that these run at 1000HT by default?
          yup
          (x2 really, forth and from, that's why it says 2000 MT/s on the box, but in the bios you have 1000)
          Last edited by Admiral; 11 March 2006, 15:02.

Comment

2000MT/s?

Comment

my opty goes up to the same speed, cept I put some 'pc4800' in, no divider
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

So what's your RAM run at?

You've gotta benchmark that thing!

Comment

same as the fsb, 280mhz or so, divider is 1:1
                  keep in mind this was $130 for a 512mb stick
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Originally posted by Sasq
                    same as the fsb, 280mhz or so, divider is 1:1
                    keep in mind this was $130 for a 512mb stick
                    Wow.

Comment

Unless its different for opterons, and i severely doubt that it is, the speed of the HT bus makes next to zero difference to overall system speed - i run a venice at 2.5Ghz and when i did the bookwork on what to set the HT bus to all of the benchmarks said it made no difference if you set it lower than 1000Mhz - doing a quick google should verify this.

Nice OC btw.
                      is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                      Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

So should I run an x3 divider instead of an x4? Is there any benefit to lowering it if it seems stable where it is? Or should I lower it as a safety precaution?

Comment

Originally posted by borat
                          Unless its different for opterons, and i severely doubt that it is, the speed of the HT bus makes next to zero difference to overall system speed - i run a venice at 2.5Ghz and when i did the bookwork on what to set the HT bus to all of the benchmarks said it made no difference if you set it lower than 1000Mhz - doing a quick google should verify this.

Nice OC btw.
                          The HT bus speed isn't too important for single-socket motherboards. The chipsets use HT for communication to slots and peripherals (PCI, PCIe, SATA, etc.), but HT is generally way faster than any of those interfaces, so it doesn't really matter. Some chipsets may hang very high performance buses off the HT link, so if you load up the system with very high speed peripherals, then you may see a difference.

Change to a 2-socket or more motherboard, and you'll want as high a HT speed as you can get, since the CPUs communicate (and share memory) over this link.

At least, that's my understanding of the situation.

- Steve

Comment

k, maybe someone would explainn why I got an extra 5fps in Dooom 3 simply by running the HT link at 1112MHz (x4) instead of 834 (x3) on my previous VIA K8T800 Pro motherboard
                            (CPU fsb @278Mhz)

Comment

in a 2 cpu situation you have 2 HT links.

The cpu-cpu HT link speed should be kept as high as possible
                              But you could probably set the HT link to IO to a lower value for stabilty when OC'ing

For mine I have the cpu-cpu set 4x(at 230mhz) and the HT link to IO set to 3x. I think setting it to 3x is the most stable for connecting to nvidia chipsets.

Comment

Working...
                              X