New graphics card - post screen looks weird, then display shuts off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New graphics card - post screen looks weird, then display shuts off

I just upgraded my PC last week, new mobo, new graphics... the works.

Now I have a problem. When I boot my PC, sometimes the screen looks really f'ed up. This happens already at the post screen. The machine continues to load windows XP, and then the screen just shuts off. If I reboot the machine it comes up again with no problems. Graphics are fine, it loads windows, I can play games... no issues.

This problem doesn't happen every time by the way.

Some details:
    - MSI K8n-Neo4-F motherboard
    - MSI GeForce 6600GT 128MB
    - 17 inch IIyama CRT monitor

Any ideas?
    If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Have you tried a different monitor? Or have you tried the video card on another system? Could be an electrical issue. What's you PSU and it's specs?

What have you tried so far?
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Is your gfx fan stalling sometimes (or is that the passive version of that card)?
      FT.

Comment

Ok this is getting weird.

You questions first...

Zokes: My PSU is a 360 watt, ATX, from Thermaltake. It's using the 20 PIN connector (the motherboard has the 24 pin connector). I have not had a chance to try monitor or card in a different PC.

Fat Tone: The Fan is on, no problems there.

Now the weird part. I just tried rebooting and it did it again, and again, and again.... Then I took the side off the case to check the fans, I booted and presto, no problems.

Now when I think about it I did the same thing yesterday when it happened. I took the side off the case to check the fans and then it worked fine.

I'm positive it's not a heat issue cause it happens even when I get home from work and the PC has been off all day so there's not even enough time for heat to build up. And I can put the side panel back on now that the PC is on without it causing any problems
        If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

Comment

Maybe you have a broken ground wire or something.

Are there any wire bundles (particularly power) that touch the case side that you remove when you put it back on?

Try starting it with the side off and then jiggle all the power wire bundles to see if that recreates the problem.

Also check that the on/off button wires are not loose on either end and not kinked or anything.
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Maybe the heatsink on the gfx card isn't installed properly or needs thermal paste.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Cjolley: I was thinking the same thing. I actually had a couple of the 4-pin Molex connectors stripped to the frame of the case, just to keep it "neat". One of them was in a position where I think it may have been "squeezed" by the side panel when I put it on. Another one was in a position where the side panel pushed against the wires (quite hard).

I "unstripped" the cables and tucked them away, out of the way of the side panel. I put the side panel back on and rebooted, and there was no problem. It could all be a coincidence. I'll have to see if it happens again.

Zokes: The graphics has the stock heatsink and fan, and I have not touched them. I know that's no guarantee it's installed properly.

Comment

Working...
              X