Good web server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good web server?

I'm looking to run vbulletin to start a web forum.

I'd like a good, relaible, unix based server that has good uptime, and good customer support.

I'd rather stick with a bigger company.

I'd also like the ability to start with a low amount of bandwidth and then upgrade later when the time comes.

Any suggestions?

how about renting space on Sasq's server?

other than that, dreamhost seems pretty decent, just make sure you use a promo code of sorts when signing up
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Dreamhost says it will host "unlimited domains" for $8 a month.

Does that mean that you have one site that multiple domains point to?

Or does that mean that I can run two totally seperate websites off my single dreamhosts account, and just have them share space and bandwidth? Kind of like a cell phone "family plan", except for a server?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
        Dreamhost says it will host "unlimited domains" for $8 a month.

Does that mean that you have one site that multiple domains point to?

Or does that mean that I can run two totally seperate websites off my single dreamhosts account, and just have them share space and bandwidth? Kind of like a cell phone "family plan", except for a server?

that is how it works, Think family plan

I have 4 sites hosted within the plan now, all just toy sites really, playing around. I found a coupon code when I signed up which gave me the first year for ~$30 or so I have since read that there are better codes around too, check fatwallet or google for such
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Sweet, I used discount code GROBY and got $50 of the first year.

Comment

Only by telling your local machine to use a Dreamhost nameserver for DNS.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
            X