IDF keynotes: Welcome to 'Intel 3.0,' with first look at quad-core CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IDF keynotes: Welcome to 'Intel 3.0,' with first look at quad-core CPUs

As an example of this efficiency, Gelsinger noted that front-side bus speeds may now be cranked up to 1333 MHz for Conroe-architecture systems, while at the same time, power efficiency is being brought down to levels not seen since the 486.
    i skimmed through this and one of the last paragraphs popped out at me. *twitch*
    /meow
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
    Asus Striker ][
    8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
    Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

You know that marketroids are running the whole show when they want to outrun "Web 2.0"...

And what's with this touting of improved FSB? It would be good if they would effectivelly abandon it, in style of AMD. But I gues Intel doesn't want to loose northbridge revenues...

Comment

The initial benchmarks for the Conroe/Memron/Woodcrest platforms have been very promising. Anandtech's benchmarks of a 2.8 GHz AMD X2 vs. a 2.66 GHz Conroe had the AMD getting smoked.

True it wasn't against an AM2 platform, and Anandtech had no control over the hardware in the Intel system, and neither AM2 or Conroe have been released, so the final performance king cannot be crowned just yet. But initial results are looking very promising for Intel.

Let the games begin anew.
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Hmm...really impressive (I wouldn't have thought such advantage is still possible). Perhaps I'll be able to afford Athlon X2 after all (damn, there goes my GFX upgrade )

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
          ...AM2 is not an architectual change. It just adds a newer HyperTransport and DD2 afaik...
          AMD has been extremely tight lipped about what, if any, architecture changes are made with their AM2 processors, beyond lower power consumption, pin-out difference and DDR2 support. There are hints that there are more changes, but so far those are the only changes known.

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

AMD socket change is only part of the story, they will be releaseing faster parts by the time intel chips are actually available to buy.
            But all the same it looks like intel did get there shit togehter and AMD is going to have some work to do.

It will be very interesting to see what actually happens in a few months when both new chips are are out.

Comment

Plus, Intel is famous for the "paper launch." Saying a product is available long before anybody can actually get their hands on it (other than review sites). AMD doesn't usually talk about something being available unless it pretty much is.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
              X