Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mac OS X hacked under 30 minutes

Holy Holey Batman!

update Gaining root access to a Mac is "easy pickings," according to an individual who won an OS X hacking challenge last month by gaining root control of a machine using an unpublished security vulnerability. On February 22, a Sweden-based Mac enthusiast set his Mac Mini as a server and invited hackers to break through the computer's security and gain root control, which would allow the attacker to take charge of the computer and delete files and folders or install applications.

Within hours of going live, the "rm-my-mac" competition was over. The challenger posted this message on his Web site: "This sucks. Six hours later this poor little Mac was owned and this page got defaced".

The hacker that won the challenge, who asked ZDNet Australia to identify him only as "gwerdna", said he gained root control of the Mac in less than 30 minutes.

"It probably took about 20 or 30 minutes to get root on the box. Initially I tried looking around the box for certain mis-configurations and other obvious things but then I decided to use some unpublished exploits -- of which there are a lot for Mac OS X," gwerdna told ZDNet Australia .

Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Not surpricing really, as the mac becomes more popular this will accelerate
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

gwerdna = Andrew G backwards, as I'm sure some fellow murcers will be extremely aware of

FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
        gwerdna = Andrew G backwards, as I'm sure some fellow murcers will be extremely aware of

A relative of Kenny G?
        “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
        –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

hehe I was thinking of Mr Gallagher...
          FT.

Comment

Agallag

edit, Fat Tone beat me by a millisecond
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I couldn't possibly comment
              FT.

Comment

A lot of things are missing in the zdnet article, people are allowed to have local access to the mac via ssh altough with an local user account. And the system hasn't been rm'ed yet
                wideopenbsd.org is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, wideopenbsd.org has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

It seems to me that only Apache got hacked, could be wrong though.
                Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Very cool.

Comment

I didn't do it. I swear!

Anyway, everyone knows I'm a Windows fanboy. I don't know the first thing about OSX.
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Hmm...methinks he doth protest too much!

(In case the men in black helicopters are reading this, we are joking - he knows less about Macs than Scottie...)
                      FT.

Comment

Hmm. Maybe this "Scottie" guy was it, then...

Comment

Working...
                        X