X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car question

The battery in my Jeep is dead.

I'm going to arrange a boost today.

If I want the battery to charge is it enough to leave the car idling for an hour or two or do I really need to drive it around for the battery to be replenished?

If I need to drive it, how long and what speed should I target?

Basically, I've sold it... I just want it to start without needing a boost a few more times. I don't care if, for example, the battery stops working next week.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

I'd say drive it on the highway for 30 minutes or so. Won't charge it much but it should charge it enough so that you can start it without having to boost it.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Titanium is the new bling!
    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

I'm assuming it's dead from sitting too long, or leaving a light on?
      If it's dead due to a faulty alternator, letting the car run won't do a thing.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

What do you mean by dead? It could be sulfated if left in a discharged condition for, say, a week or so, in which case there's little can be done to restore the Ah capacity. The plates could be disintegrating, in which case the Ah capacity could be pro rata to the number of good plates left in the worst cell. It could be that a lump of lead oxide has fallen out of a plate and effectively short-circuited a cell, in which case it will have become a nominal 10 V battery, instead of 12 V and no amount of charging will restore it. It could be that the quantity of electrolyte is insufficient, allowing the plates to have partially dried out, with possible sulfating of the top part. It could simply be that the battery is sick and tired of life and has rendered its soul to wherever dead batteries go.

Far better to beg, borrow, buy or steal a battery charger (or take it to a service station with a battery charger) than to run the engine to charge it. For a full charge of a good battery from the engine, it takes 4 - 6 hours, assuming you are not running with lights, radio, wipers or other accessories.
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

speaking of cars... i am 28... i now have to learn how to drive.... and get a car SOON... like in the next 2 month........ :/
          "They say that dreams are real only as long as they last. Couldn't you say the same thing about life?"

Comment

True, as they said, depends on how dead, and if your altenator works.

Wow, 28 and learning to drive, I can't imagine.
            "I dream of a better world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned."

Comment

just found this link, in case your battery is toast:
              Went to look for car batteries and it seems Costco selling them for almost 1/2 price comparing to anyone else (including CT), and they have a nice

Went to look for car batteries and it seems Costco selling them for almost 1/2 price comparing to anyone else (including CT), and they have a nice guide to select the right one for your car. Also they typically provide more CCA (Cold Cranking Amps ) then original ones, have convenient handles etc.
              Many batteries have price $49.99 - and some slightly more.
              However the battery I purchased listed price $59.99 but rang at the register $49.99, so I assume most of them $49.99.
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

ya, Costco .
                for about the same price as a couple boosts, you get a battery!
                But you may have to get your hands dirty
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Hi Guys,

Just getting back to the office.

@gt40, you assume correct!

I called CAA (Canada's version of AAA) and they sent a battery service car out. Really quickly too!

The guy was able to get the car started right away by putting the booster cables on.

He said I should leave it running idle for an hour and then it should be charged enough to start again on its own.

I hope he's right.

If not, I'll be calling CAA again a little bit later.

Comment

I would just take it out on the highway for a bit. 30 minutes at 100km/h should do it.

Or 10 minutes at 300km/h if you prefer.
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                      I would just take it out on the highway for a bit. 30 minutes at 100km/h should do it.

Or 10 minutes at 300km/h if you prefer.
                      hehe...

Well it's out of my hands now.

I had it boosted. I left it idling for about 2 hours (until I was ready to go). I drove it to the dealer. Left it idling in his parking lot. Told him I had to have it boosted because it had been so long since I'd used it and gave him the keys.

Done deal.

Comment

So it is gone, and in its place...?
                        FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                          I'm guessing he finally admitted that he was an 18-year-old girl, and got a RAV-4.
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          If only life were as easy as you
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tone
                            Hyundai Santa Fe GLS 3.5L V6 AWD (From what I gather the model names are slightly different in the US. This is their highest trim level. I think they call it a Limited in the States.)

Paid cash. Got a great deal. And managed to accidentally cause the dealership to not charge me for my remote starter.

Comment

Looking at that on the Hyundai Canada web site, it seems very reasonably priced and with good fuel consumption too. I'm comparing that to my family saloon, which doesn't do any better.
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X