Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new Intel Based Mac Mini

Very sweet...very tempted to get one for a HTPC

Supercharged by the M2 or M2 Pro chip, Mac mini has a wide array of ports and Wi-Fi 6E for a phenomenal desktop experience.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Probably not. It might work as a HTPC, but only for QuickTime-compatible movies. And it's no gaming box (probably less than the PPC mini).
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Just wanted to post the same story . Overall I'm not impressed I know the mini is a low end mac but the iMac gives you a lot more bang for the buck when I compared the specs and prices. "Intel GMA950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory" wtf were they thinking just include a X1300 would be much more suited for a htpc etc.
      Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
      Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
      Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
        Probably not. It might work as a HTPC, but only for QuickTime-compatible movies. And it's no gaming box (probably less than the PPC mini).
        Well given Quicktime plays a number of formats and you can also play DVD movies...
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

For all the fuss about the graphics, it's not like what was in there before was that great. Though one might get the impression that Apple isn't thrilled about it either, given the searching one has to do on the product pages to find where they list what the mini uses.

Comment

Well, at least what was in there before didn't require that it take a minimum of 80MB away from the RAM.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

You've got a point there. I'll bet we see a non-integrated revision sometime within the next year, as these early releases will just be an attempt to get intel-based Macs into the market.

Comment

Also, the extra RAM that the GMA950 can use means Core Image support, which the old Mini didn't have. An interesting thing about the onboard Windows PC GMA900/950 solutions is that they dynamically allocate 8-128MB out of your RAM, thus not always taking up more than 8MB if you don't require it. But I reckon that with all they fancy effects in OS X, 64 is required at all times

It looks like a very nice HTPC and to the best of my knowledge Quicktime is like WMP, a front-end for any codec you have on the system and it should be able to deal well with any DivX/Xvid/DVD content you throw at it. I guess it does mean no WMV, though.
                All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                  Also, the extra RAM that the GMA950 can use means Core Image support, which the old Mini didn't have. An interesting thing about the onboard Windows PC GMA900/950 solutions is that they dynamically allocate 8-128MB out of your RAM, thus not always taking up more than 8MB if you don't require it. But I reckon that with all they fancy effects in OS X, 64 is required at all times
                  Actually, for the Mini it's minimum is 80MB, and can go up from there.

Comment

You're right, my mistake...I also wonder how well an integrated chip can handle HD video playback and how it would compare to the G4 Mini.
                    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

I doubt it'll get non-integrated video...but why not? This is low cost machine. Put there anything which will keep the cost lower...
                      Same thing will be with new iBook I suppose...

Comment

well one thing to consider is that Intel might finally have a halfway decent onboard video solution this time next year with Vista coming out and its higher requirements for video support...have to do the ole wait and see thing
                        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Nowhere
                          I doubt it'll get non-integrated video...but why not? This is low cost machine. Put there anything which will keep the cost lower...
                          It STARTS at USD$600, and goes up from there. No monitor, and I believe no kb or mouse. That's not "low cost." It's very easy to option up a $1000+ mini.

Comment

There is this as an option to the mac mini.

Tech news and expert reviews of the latest mobile phones, laptops, cameras, gadgets and home appliances. We'll help you buy the right product for you

Almost the same spec... Integrated card reader , no optical i/o though. but has a tv tuner built in + svideo out / digital option soon.

Comment

Shuttle also has a number of alternatives coming:

Jörg
                              pixar
                              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                              X