Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying RAM - Kingston, Corsair, Twinmos?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying RAM - Kingston, Corsair, Twinmos?

OK, it seems that I multitas somethimes after all and 256MB becomes irritating, so I'm buying another 512MB.
    Hardware: ASRock K7S8X (SiS 746FX) paired currenetly with Kingston (non-ECC, same as the one I'll buy) 256MB DDR400CL3 module (running not at 400MHz, but at 266 with lower CL).
    Now, I could just go out and buy Kingston 512MB DDR400 CL2,5 module...but somehow now they're noticably more expensive here than Corsair Value Select or Twinmos. OTOH the highest priority for me is stability, which I don't want to give up definatelly.
    So...do you think that, for example, Corsair (about which I heard a lot good things...) module won't give problems?
    Of course I'll leave it running on memtest anyway...

www.crucial.com all Micron memory...worth a look and free ship
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I've never had problems with Infineon modules, and they're not too expensive. Important: There are third party modules with Infineon chips on them, which says nothing about their quality. There are also Infineon modules with Infineon chips on them, which is what I'm talking about.
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Well, Infineon isn't available here, and online stores are no-go (I have only Visa Electron...almost nobody has offline card here).
        So I'll just have to choose locally, among the three...and while I know they're all good, and would like to choose Corsair this time (best (?) and...cheapest) I'm simply afraid of possible incompatibilities/problems and asking about them...

Comment

I've never had a problem with Corsair ram, and that includes a lot of value select. However, I've had a ton of problems with Kingston ram, though admittedly I haven't used it at all since the PC66/100/133 days after being burned one time to many.
          Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

OK...so does that mean "better buy Kingston this time also?". Because the Kingston stick that's in the computer, will stay there. And since they're sometimes problematic, perhaps less when mixed with their own kind?
            What to do, what to do...I don't want the hassle with incompatibilities/instabilities...but at the same time Corsair price is more tempting :/

Comment

I pretty much use Crucial exclusively. If I want cheaper stuff for someone else I get Corsair ValueSelect RAM or something from Patriot memories.
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I think you should do fine with Corsair. Just in case, ask the clerk if you can return the RAM if some weird incompatibility turns up (this can even happen with brand RAM), and you should be fine
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
                X