Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Easy to use and flexible PHP/MySQL CMS

Guys,

Several years ago I built the site: http://www.rai.ox.ac.uk/ in static HTML/CSS.

I continue to keep it updated whenever the staff there need something changed. However this is a bit of a pain in the proverbial especially all the annoying academic brief CVs. The diary section was a pain, but I am now lazy and just turn their termcard into a PDF and link it in...

So I'm thinking of giving them a little present of a content managment system so they can keep it up-to-date themselves (maybe only using me for bigger changes e.g. a new section). It's also time to try and make it fully accesibility-policy-compliant I think.

The look of the thing and most of the content can remain completely unchanged from the outside, and as this is only a hobby for me, something that doesn't require too much work on my part woud be nice. I am looking for any experiences you have with CMSs - I have established that I can get Apache/PHP/MySQL hosting from OUCS. And I think full ASP/ISS hosting would probably also be available, but not so easy to give myself a test environment (I already have Apache/PHP/MySQL set up on a machine at home).

The staff there are completely IT-illiterate (can't always attach a document to an email properly it would seem as an example) so something with a seamless WYSIWYG interface would be nice.

Oh, and something free would be nice

TIA

George
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

joomla or wordpress
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Cheers D will google em up now

Comment

Hmmm they both look just like what I am looking for - especially Wordpress. Will have to download and have a play Thanks as ever Sasq.

Comment

I use e107: www.e107.org

I found it easier to use than Joombla/Mambo, easier to install and they are very flexible and has some great plug-ins. I posted a coding question and had a response within 2 hours.
          Last edited by Jammrock; 25 February 2006, 08:57.
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I use Drupal
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I useTypo3.

Jörg
              pixar
              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
                I useTypo3.

Jörg
                He said "easy to use"
                "Women don't want to hear a man's opinion, they just want to hear their opinion in a deeper voice."

Comment

Wordpress or Textpattern

Both are great packages, though I've found the latter to be far more extensible with some effort; Wordpress is to a lesser but easier extent. WP definitely has a larger community behind it, while TP is the brainchild of one man with a growing community. The good news is both packages can import from others.

That said, I've also found that there are no packages out that are good for IT-illiterate users. Some users are okay once they get to the article/post/page creation page, but getting there or setting any sort of peripheral information is a challenge.
                  “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. So far I like the look of Wordpress, and so now need to find the time to actually sit down and have a play with it and try and get some sort of prototype up on my server for the clients to have a play with and see if they like it... I do have a sneaking suspicion though that they will end up still sending me requests to update stuff even if they can do it themselves. At least this way I could, erm, update it for them from the office

A couple of questions though (probably could find out myself, but hey, I'm at work...): if I changed or updated the main template for the site (e.g. adding a new link to appear on every page) would I be able to do this just once and let it propagate throughout the site (even though each site section has slightly different colouring)?

Also, I assume that my rather dodgy use of fixed/fudged popups would have to go if I went to one of these CMSs - therefore is there an elegant way of adding a third layer of navigation? (This one's probably less to do with the CMS and more to do with my lack of desire to do a complete site redesign - I reckon it still looks fine as-is )

Comment

This is where I prefer Textpattern over Wordpress, in that it allows for easier creation of sections and bits of code (what they call forms) that can be placed damn near anywhere (as in a set of links or a... form). That said, Wordpress is capable of doing this as well, just in a different manner.

You can code the pages and style them in any manner you like; even changing the way the content is displayed. You'll definitely want to be taking a long look at the docs, of which Wordpress has some rather extensive coverage. You'll likely find that plugins are your friends, as well as taking a look at how some of the themes do things - find one that is similar to what you have and reference it.

Wordpress themes can be found here: http://themes.wordpress.net/
                      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Cool - thanks Jammy. Also there's a rather specifically hand-tuned form at: http://www.rai.ox.ac.uk/scholars/application.html

Presumably I'll be able to just drop the HTML for that as-is into whatever bucket wordpress/etc gives me? And then be able to change it by hand later as I need? I'm guessing that setting the form up to look right would be a bit of an arse to do it as per the CMS...

Comment

I found 2 interesting sites today:

OpenSourceCMS.com is a central resource for all things related to Open-source CMS and gives you the opportunity to “try out” most of the best Open-source CMS tools in the world without marketing fluff or sales people. Feel free to browse around on the site and try fully configured standard demos of the systems you are […]
                          Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
                          Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
                          Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

Working...
                          X