NTL Cable Connection & Network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NTL Cable Connection & Network

At home I have two PCs, my laptop and an NTL cable modem connection.

The three PC's are on my network and the cable modem is attached by USB to my main PC. The issue is that NTL set up their system to only allow one ip to access the modem. I can connect the modem directly into my network and my PC's can get on the web but only one at a time.

What do I need to install between my network and the modem to trick the modem into thinking that only one ip is connected to it even though I'll have three ips on the network.

a router???

You need an IP gateway. So basically any Linksys router will do such as the WRT54G. Well, not any linksys router, but all of the ones similar to the WRT54G.
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Normally a router is exactly what you need

Tho if the cable modem is USB only you might just have to assign one computer to do the routing task through the share conection function.....
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Oh and drop the USB connection in favor of an ethernet connection.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Your NTL modem will have Ethernet as well as USB. As they said, use the Ethernet port to a router with NAT. May as well get one that includes WiFi for your lappy while you are at it. Or you could go down the ICS route but thats no where near as convenient.
          FT.

Comment

Cheers guys, I've ordered the WRT55AG-UK.

I was originally using the ethernet connection but after a rebuild I opted for the usb connection because I could only get one PC to see it.

Comment

Good choice. If you use the WiFi, make sure you use WPA rather than WEP. Apart from WPA being more secure, that model gave me headaches with WEP, but WPA was fine.
              FT.

Comment

Well everything is working great, I can now connect both my PC's and laptop, amazing how simple these things are to set up.

Comment

Great

Comment

Question 2:

My router is working great (wireless crashed twice) but I'm thinking about moving everything around in my flat, 2 of my PC's (the ones connected by cable) will then be too far away from the router, I don't want to/can't run any cables, what's the best option, a second WRT55AG?

Comment

Anybody any experience with this

Linksys Wireless-g Ethernet Bridge

Comment

Originally posted by dbdg
                        I don't want to/can't run any cables, what's the best option, a second WRT55AG?
                        AFAIK the WRT55AG doesn't support WDS, or Linksys's own version of it, so you can't create a wireless bridge between two of them. You'd need to check the compatibility list for the WET54G and see if the WRT55AG is on it

BTW what firmware version are you running?
                        Last edited by Taz; 4 April 2006, 15:49.
                        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Haven't been able to locate a compatibility list yet, I'll have a better look when I am at work tomorrow.

Firmware is 1.30

Comment

In case anyone needs to know, the WRT55AG and WET54G work great together, well so far.

Set up was a little confusing and I can't seem to access the web panel for the bridge but other then that everything is cool.

Comment

if you are feeling brave you can try some 3rd party firmware, although i am not sure if that device is supported. In fact it's probably not, at least by these guys:

Shame, because they support wireless bridging (although without security) and wireless signal amplification (default 28mA, can whack it up to 70 apparently with no consequences)

Comment

Working...
                              X