The Olympics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Olympics

I know I've been a little... ok QUITE critical of "sports" in the past... and the present, and probably in the future.

But like most of the rest of the world, every night for the past week and a half we've been glued to the TV set, watching the broadcasts from Turino.

So a couple thoughts...

-----------------

The first is a cute anecdote. We were watching the other night, and the commentators were going on about how so-and-so was at the 1994 games, and then so-and-so was in Nagano, and that someone was JUST old enough to compete this time, hit the cutoff by about a week, and that someone ELSE was going to have to wait until 2010 in Vancouver.

So Logan turns to us and says "which Olympics will _I_ be able to be in?" and I did some quick math and told him that he'd be 16 for the 2018 games, and that's old enough for some events... and then Julie asked him what he intended to do at the Olympics, and he said "Probably snowboarding, but maybe skiing - we'll have to see!".

And if, by some miracle, it turns out he isn't completely klutzy like the rest of the family... I'm all for that!

-------------------

The second is something one of the commentators briefly mentioned...

Much is made of so-called "X-Games" and "Xtreme Sports", with young so-called athletes poo-pooing traditional athletics because it's not exciting enough or daring enough or dangerous enough. But let's reflect for a moment on those boring old traditional endeavors, shall we?

We have Olympic Bobsledding, where discovering that you're doing "only 80mph" as you come into the final stretch is a serious let-down. ONLY 80mph. Through tunnels that are about 6 inches wider than your vehicle, and DON'T TOUCH THE SIDES! Around turns that put you literally perpendicular to the ground.

We have Skeleton - 'nuff said.

We have Short Track Speed Skating, which has to be the most wipeout-prone, "look-out-for-the-razor-sharp-skates-in-your-face" event ever. Yikes!

Then we have the Ski Jump. Let's contemplate that, shall we? I mean, it's boring right? Last night we watched our taped K125. The LOSERS, the guys coming in 20th place, were all consistently jumping 125M horizontally. That's over FOUR HUNDRED FEET. In the air. And they're traveling a vertical distance of over 200 feet. In other words, they're FREE FALLING over 20 stories and in the process covering substantially more than the length of a football field horizontally.

Suddenly, jumping 20 feet from a helicopter to the ski slope... seems pretty anticlimactic.

---------------------

Now this isn't to say that I am a HUGE fan of ALL of the Olympics. Ice dancing's compulsory short program makes me want to SCREAM, I don't much care for hockey, and I just... don't... GET... curling. I mean, it's shuffleboard, right? On ice?

But I have to say, the way-cool new ski-body-armor is amazing, and the skintight suits on the female speed skaters... mmm...

---------------------

Last but not least, I feel obliged to point out one egregious oversight on the part of the IOC. The Gold medalist in women's downhill... THAT'S NO WOMAN - THAT'S A MAN, MAN!
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

The only thing we watched was ice dancing, and that's because a local pair was entered: Tanith Belbin and Benjamin Agosto, who won the silver medal, train in Canton, Mich....about 12 miles from here. Other than that and the womens/mens singles the rest isn't worth the effort.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 February 2006, 18:28.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well, I had a great deal of pleasure watching the Canadian women's hockey team ANNIALATE the rest of the WORLD
      other than that, didn't really watch much
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Wow, I feel positively visigothic! To think that _I_ am the one who has watched the most sports in here? *snicker*
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
          Wow, I feel positively visigothic! To think that _I_ am the one who has watched the most sports in here? *snicker*
          I've watched a little bit each night. Curling rules:

***MAY NOT BE WORK SAFE***

***MAY NOT BE WORK SAFE***

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
            Well, I had a great deal of pleasure watching the Canadian women's hockey team ANNIALATE the rest of the WORLD
            other than that, didn't really watch much
            wooht!
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
              But how would you feel if you knew they were getting PAID? I did not know this until they did a story about Joey Cheek (US speed skater) donating his $25,000 Gold medal "prize money" to a charity run by Johann Olav Koss (Norwegian ex speed skater.)

Comment

Curlers aren't the only hotties.. check out Norwegian moguls skier Kari Traa.

(make sure your Google safe search is off.. )

Comment

Definitely one of the prettiest Olympians, Skater Elena Sokolova:
                  Attached Files

Comment

Just watched the Men's 1500 Speed Skating. That was pretty exciting as usual. Haven't watched too much of the Olympics, a little bit each day cause my family is watching.

I saw a news story on the Ski Jump. Women aren't allowed to compete and it's because it's considered not safe for them according to at least one person on the Olympic committee. There's a US women team and one of the jumpers is sister to a guy on the men's team who competed.
                    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Haven't watched any Olympics other than a 1 minute report in the news, more concerned with doping than games (NOT sport). What amazes me, though is that a wee country like Austria can be in the same league as Germany and the USA. Bravo, to them!

OTOH, I did watch the Top Gear Winter Olympics, which was hilarious http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/thisweek/
                      For me, the highlights were sending a rocket-propelled Mini down the ski-jump and the Stig driving a snowmobile down the same!
                      Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                        But how would you feel if you knew they were getting PAID? I did not know this until they did a story about Joey Cheek (US speed skater) donating his $25,000 Gold medal "prize money" to a charity run by Johann Olav Koss (Norwegian ex speed skater.)
                        Been that way for a while, actually. I don't care if they get a bonus for winning. *shrug* Better than having them SELL their medals because they need to eat.

Comment

Working...
                        X