Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PS3 Possibably Delayed a year?

Hmmmm....

Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Yeah I saw an article about that on Gamespot.

I think that a lot of the price must be because of the BluRay drive.

I guess it's a gamble for Sony. If they can use the PS3 to drive market penetration of BluRay players then that will open the floodgates for sales of BluRay movies, which I've read that the studios intend to keep artificially inflated for as long as possible.

If BluRay wins the HD media war then Sony will stand to make a lot of money in royalties for the tech.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

The resource for people who make and sell games.

Sony denies dely, "Next-generation console still on track for Spring launch," says spokesman
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Oh, they'll still launch in the "Spring"...

Their definition of Spring just happens to be different than everybody else's.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

right, did they say what year?

Comment

I thought the official launch date was sep 21?

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
              I thought the official launch date was sep 21?
              US release. I think Japan gets it this Spring. At least I don't remember the PS3 being a worldwide launch...

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

well Revolution is supposed to be out for Thanksgiving this year I think (American Thanksgiving, not Canadian )

Any delay, whether it be a week, a month, or several will hurt the PS3.
                Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Marketwatch.com article....
                  Merrill on Thursday downgraded Sony shares to sell from neutral, focusing in part on the high manufacturing costs for building the new machine. A Friday note from Merrill semiconductor analyst Joe Osha estimated that the initial bill of materials for the "expensive and difficult-to-manufacture" PS3 could total $800, with costs falling to $320 three years from launch.
                  A parts cost of $800??

With any kind of profit margin, or even a break even pricing, that sucker had better play the game for you and give a neck massage at the same time!!

Dr. Mordrid
                  Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 21 February 2006, 18:07.
                  Dr. Mordrid
                  ----------------------------
                  An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

The $800 is an analyst estimate, and as such should be taken with a grain of salt. The biggest cost addition will be the Blu-ray drive and Cell processors, both of which are brand spanking new, and as such in a retail environment would be expensive because the company would be looking to recoup R&D costs. So a street value of $800 for parts I can see. What it costs Sony to make I would park in the $600 range. That makes the PS3 cost loss "acceptable" considering Sony is trying to use it as a cheap launch vehicle for Blu-ray, and hedging their bets that it will be just as popular as the PS1 and PS2.

I see market price at $500 when it first hits in Japan, and $400 by the time it hits US shores. I doubt it will hit the magical $250 price point until 2008, and $200 in 2009.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                    X