Replacing P650 with ATI / NVIDIA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing P650 with ATI / NVIDIA

I have lots of questions to ask so please read carefully before you reply.

I have plans to build a new computer where PCI Express have taken over AGP and hence I won't be able to use my P650 on most new motherboards. Unfortunately, all high end Matrox PCI Express solutions, INLCLDUING P650 PCE-E has a little fan on it when I want a silent PC.

The features I want out of ATI or NVIDIA are:
    - The DAC just as sharp as Parhelia as I spent a lot on a CRT using 1600x1200, 85Hz
    - A function just like DVDMax playing interlaced video at full frame rate
    - HDTV output should I replace my standard TV in the future
    - Fanless

At the moment, I am considering the Gigabyte Silentpipe ATI X1600 because it matches most of the above.

However, I spent all day on the web trying to find out little features that are important to me:
    - Will the ATI be able to play interlaced video at full 50/60 frames per second on a standard TV without being deinterlaced to 25/30 frames per second? (Try recording a live standard TV broadcast and playing it back.)
    - Can you change the HD output to 1280x720 to 50fps, NOT 60fps because it's likely in Europe that 50fps will be used since existing standard broadcasts are 50fps.

I am also considering an NVIDIA 6600GT but none of them seems to have a DAC just as sharp as Parhelia for 2D graphics. If I remain with the Matrox line, it will have to be a Parhelia APVe with a little fan.

I am also considering an Antec P180 case. In case some of you upgraded your cases, do you think it made your Parhelia or other cooled graphics card quieter?
    Last edited by jackelectronics; 19 February 2006, 11:40.
    JackElectronics

My Matrox SCART Users Support Page:
    http://www.jackelectronics.f2s.com/c...rox/index.html

Not so fond of the P180, steel structure covered with surprisingly cheap plastic. The inside arangement has potential though

On the video card side, maybe a GeForce 7300... however I'm not in any position to comment on the TV output and multimonitor capabilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
      Not so fond of the P180, steel structure covered with surprisingly cheap plastic. The inside arangement has potential though

On the video card side, maybe a GeForce 7300... however I'm not in any position to comment on the TV output and multimonitor capabilities.
      Are any of is a position to do so with that whole HDCP fiasco?

edit: otherwise my vote is on something along the lines of a X1300
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Don't know, only ATi claimed it had it and then they rephrased the specs on the site.
        I guess postponing the video card purchase untill the specs are fully defined could be a sollution.

Comment

Stating this topic again!

I am getting this topic I started running again as I am again thinking of upgrading my P650. I am considering ATI as I believe they are catching up with Matrox as I've heard reports of a sharp 2D display compared to UltraSharp DAC, 10-bit color compared to Matrox GigaColor and Theater View compared to Matrox DVDMax.

I've been doing searches on the web on comments and reviews about the ATI x800. I am considering the GigaByte x800 card as it is passively cooled without stupid noisy little fans. All I've seen is endless 3DMark results because all these reviewers ever care about is superfast 3D grapics and none of the serious stuff.

I wondering if some of you could help me based on your experiences (NOT assumptions) to see if ATI's Theater View is the same quality as Matrox's DVDMax with FULL MOTION playback on the TV whilst maintaining interlacing. Also there should be no stupid black borders during playback that first generation "TV-OUT" cards had.

Also, if the field order is wrong, you can reverse it on Matrox DVDMax. Is it possible to do the same on the ATI or is it automatic or completely fixed. A problem due to limitation on the Matrox is interlaced widescreen playback in a letterbox format on a standard 4:3 TV. Does the ATI suffer from the problem I've explained below?

Help is very much appreciated as I do not want to spend $200 on a X800 in case ATI has stuck to their shoddy TV-OUT.
          JackElectronics

Comment

I have a p650 at home and an (ati) Asus x600 at work. On the P650 I use dual head with an LG Flatron 795FT and an Iiyama Vision Master Pro 413 (both 17" crts). On the asus I use a single Viewsonic VE710s (17" lcd with d-sub sadly, although it's relevant to your case).

Although it's apples to oranges, I'd say the IQ on the asus is good but noticably lower than the p650 - I haven't seen anything to touch it from ATI / NVidia despite the rumours of ATI's increased 2d quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Whirl-Secret
              Although it's apples to oranges, I'd say the IQ on the asus is good but noticably lower than the p650 - I haven't seen anything to touch it from ATI / NVidia despite the rumours of ATI's increased 2d quality.
              Thanks for your info. I still stay away from NVIDIA as I believe their IQ is still very shoddy.

Need some more feedback from others about ATI Theatre View output to a TV set, especially interlacing because there's a GigaByte x800 on eBay right now until Monday.
              JackElectronics

Comment

Well....on my Samtron 95p+ CRT the image quality was very good,using a X800pro( Connect 3d )
                But it was not as good as my old Parhelia.
                Video DVD playback was also very good,but i only watched via monitor...no TV out.
                About interlacing......dont know much about that,i always leave it disabled.I guess there is no need for that when watching via monitor?
                So,i would say an X800 is a good choice.
                Hope that helps a little bit
                ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

Just to clarify, with 10 being perfect, I guess I would give the P650 an 8.5 (9 on a generous day) and the Asus x600 a 7 or maybe 7.5.

Perfectly acceptable, but I'll never forget the first time i booted with the Matrox, and even desktop icons looked smoother and sharper.

Comment

The TV out my 6800gt is pretty decent, it is more adjustable than ati cards but perhaps it is slighly harder to use in that some programs just don't seem to output to fullscreen video, but you can always force individual windows to fullscreen on the tv output anyway.

My 7800gt comes with component out and s-video in and out which should be handy in the future, but I only use it on 22" crt so I have not tested the tv out. But it is pretty sharp for normal computer/gaming use even at 1600x1200.

However if you buy a cheap nvidia card don't expect "great" output quality or even cheap ati for that matter.

Comment

Working...
                    X