What GPS receiver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What GPS receiver?

I've been playing with TomTom 5 on my PDA.
    It's quite a nice bit of kit so I am willing to purchase a GPS receiver to get full functionality. There seem to be millions of different devices out there offering between 12 and 32 channels, signal aquistion times of 30-60 seconds (cold start) and a polling interval of 100ms.

Are they fairly standard, or is there something that I should be looking out for?

ebay sell them fairly cheaply.

Cheers
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

This model seems to be most popular on ebay.
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

If you are going to get that model, I'd recomed some kind of add on antenna
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I'd prefer not to use an add on antenna. I have seen GPS receivers that are incorperated into a mounting bracket for the 3970...

What would you suggest? I don't have much experience with these devices.

Comment

You really want one with SiRFstar III chipset

I'm using TomTom's own BT receiver and that works really well but any receiver using that chipset should do the job
          When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
            I'd prefer not to use an add on antenna. I have seen GPS receivers that are incorperated into a mounting bracket for the 3970...

What would you suggest? I don't have much experience with these devices.
            I don’t have much experience either, but I do now that compared to other gps' receivers I have configured this one had really bad receiving, I waited well over 15 minutes for the damn thing to find a satellite before giving up
            If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
              I don’t have much experience either, but I do now that compared to other gps' receivers I have configured this one had really bad receiving, I waited well over 15 minutes for the damn thing to find a satellite before giving up
              maybe you're not on this planet...

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
                maybe you're not on this planet...
                Ahh..that would explain all the weird stuff I encounter

Comment

Taz, did you buy the package or just the receiver?

Comment

In an ideal world i'd find a mounting bracket for my iPAQ 3970 that has an incorperated SiRFstar III GPS receiver...

Comment

Taz, did you buy the package or just the receiver?
                      The package

In an ideal world i'd find a mounting bracket for my iPAQ 3970 that has an incorperated SiRFstar III GPS receiver...
                      have you checked Brodit's website

Brodit is a world-leading manufacturer of model specific mounting solutions for your device. Any device, anywhere! Function | Quality | Safety.
                      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

what are you using it with?

Comment

First of all, check out www.gpspassion.com. Then get one with the SiRFstarIII chipset, like everyone else said.

Comment

what are you using it with?
                            Palm Treo 650

I've also used TomTom Nav 5 with a SysOnChip CF GPS receiver on my old iPaq 3630

Comment

Working...
                            X