Skype will limit AMD users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skype will limit AMD users

Raenex writes "CNET is reporting that Intel and Skype have signed an exclusive deal that would cap the number of conference call members on all but Intel architecture. Skype will only offer 10-way conference calls on specific Intel chips while other chips, including all AMD chips, will only offer 5...

And I think nobody has doubts this is totally artificial - if anything, AMD CPU's are at least as capable of doing "many users" conference call.

Up to now I liked Skype...

Originally posted by Nowhere
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/02/13/2015236
    And I think nobody has doubts this is totally artificial - if anything, AMD CPU's are at least as capable of doing "many users" conference call.

Up to now I liked Skype...
    Has nothing to do with capabilities and everything to do with Intel giving Skype a big bag of cash.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

This is FAR from the first time Intel has done this. I recall SEVERAL programs that actually completely refused to run on anything other than a "Genuine Intel Pentium Processor" back in the day when K5's were shiny new.

Someone came up with a workaround... and AMD sued Intel (and won, at least on that count).
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
        This is FAR from the first time Intel has done this. I recall SEVERAL programs that actually completely refused to run on anything other than a "Genuine Intel Pentium Processor" back in the day when K5's were shiny new.

Someone came up with a workaround... and AMD sued Intel (and won, at least on that count).
        For example... if you compile an x86 program with an Intel compiler, and then compare the same program on an Intel and AMD CPU, magically the Intel CPU is much faster. Compile the same appon a 3rd party compiler, say MS's, and they run virtually the same.

Someone has claimed to have found something in the Intel compiler that purposely causes AMD chips to run slower w/ Intel compiled apps, though I can't find the source.

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock

Someone has claimed to have found something in the Intel compiler that purposely causes AMD chips to run slower w/ Intel compiled apps, though I can't find the source.
          I remember this too.. something like making the amd run without using mmx or anything fancy like that.. can't remember the source myself now either
          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Yeah, it was from the Intel compiler only enabling the MMX/SSE extensions when it detected the 'Geniune Intel CPU'. If it detected something else, then it just skipped the entire extension routine part (instead of checking for what is supported by the processor) and ran the program without anything special.

Comment

Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
              [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

BobPaul writes "It turns out when Skype limited 10 way calling to Intel Processors only it really was arbitrary! Maxxus has a patched version of Skype that allows 10-way calling regardless of the processor installed. There's also info about the patch: "The patch is the result of two phases: code an...

Looks like someone reverse engineered Skype 2.0 and removed the limiter for AMD CPUs. Turns out that 10-way calling works fine with AMD dual core CPUs after all. Oops ... more fuel for AMDs anti-trust suit.

Jammrock

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
                  Turns out that 10-way calling works fine with AMD dual core CPUs after all.
                  Who's have thought
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Hmm...I tried to look at the page with the patch, and it's dead, even though mainsite works. Something fishy going on?
                    Last edited by Nowhere; 10 March 2006, 01:26.

Comment

Working...
                    X