Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the browser icon?

Y'know, the little icon? It's MISSING... *dun dun duhhhhhhhn*
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

This one?

This one?
      Attached Files

Comment

That's the one.

I just redid my machine, and it wasn't coming up.

It comes up in Firefox (latest), but not IE6 or Opera (latest O9 beta).

Still like that - VERY weird. Nothing else running on the machine, either. *shrug*
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

I can't comment on Opera as i've not used it for a couple of years.

That being said, I've never had the "Browser Icon" when using Internet Explorer, Only when using Firefox.

Are you sure you aren't just thinking it used to be there in IE etc?
          ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

It is there in Opera 8.51, not in 9 preview 2. There is no setting in opera:about to do anything about it. Other sites' favicons show up properly, but I remember older versions of Opera not showing some favicons. Opera 8.51 has a dropdown where you can choose "Page Icons: Embedded Icons and Favicons", "Embedded Icons Only", or "No Icons". This is missing in 9p2 (it's a preview, after all, which is less than a Beta for Opera), so I guess Opera 9p2 doesn't do Favicons linked to from .htaccess, only icons linked to via . Since MURC doesn't use the latter method, I assume we use the former.

There was a security fix regarding Favicons in 8.52, but since I haven't upraded yet I don't know if this has any side effects.

EDIT: Seems to be a known bug in the previews, and my speculations above seem to be false. Why it doesn't work in IE, I don't know.
            Last edited by az; 20 February 2006, 02:35.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

The generally accepted method for a browser or other to check for a favicon is to simply look for the 'favicon.ico' file in the root directory.
              “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Shouldn't the favicon be referenced in .htaccess?
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

No. If the icon is in the root directory or, in cases, the directory of the current page, that is all that is required. If the icon is not in one of these places then a web page would require a direct link to the icon file.
                  “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

IE only seems to check for the favicon on adding a page to your favourites, from that point on it will show next to the url. If you import your old favourites IE doesn't recheck on the first visit to the page so it never shows.

Comment

Working...
                    X