Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network profile switcher

Hello,

Do you have any suggestions for a software that allows one to be able to switch network settings (for different locations: home, work, ... using the same adapter)?

It should be able to:
    - set ip addres, dns, dhcp, gateways, ... (whatever)
    - set proxy on Firefox & internet explorer
    - set SMTP server on Thunderbird
    - adjust firewall settings
    - work on wifi/wired/dial-up connections

Additionally, it would be nice if it could:
    - automatically detect what network one is on now
    - change default printer
    - optimize browser settings (e.g. not load images some connections, but do load them on some other connections)
    - adjust windows update settings (not check on some connections, but do check on other connections)

I have the impression no such software is delivered with my fujitsu-siemens laptop. The best such tool I have used is the one IBM supplied with their laptops (it does everything, and, even detect it automatically).

Thanks!

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

...doesn't roaming profile do that??

cc

Comment

I don't know, I never worked with that... I thought it has to do with a different account directory depending on your location, so that you can have the same profile if you log onto different computers in the same network; not with the network settings...?

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

get a mac

Closest native function I can think of is the windows profiles.
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Do you mean the hardware profiles?

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

just so i can be clear; you got a laptop and you want it to have different network settings (hardware and software levels) depending on where you are (such as work, home, hotel, war driving)?

i'm pretty sure you can do all that with just different user accounts. a little tweaking and you can have all your user accounts share the same data but set up differently network wise.

There are dailer softwares that can do most of what your asking. unfortunatly the only one i've seen and used is proprietary to my old job.
            /meow
            Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
            Asus Striker ][
            8GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 (4x2GB)
            Asus EN8800GT 512MB x2(SLI)

I am C4tX0r, hear me mew!

Comment

Jörg

...off the start button >> Help and Support >> Search for Roaming Profiles >> in the results window at the bottom...read the materials there, i have never set one up so i can't be of that much help but it does look as though it can be done but with some limitations

good luck

cc

Comment

Chucky:
                Well, everything I find about these roaming profiles (e.g. http://www.techadvice.com/nt40/R/RoamingProfiles.htm ) is that they are intend for if you have a number of PCs, on which a group of users are allowed to log on. With a roaming profile, they will see their desktop/startmenu/... no matter what PC they log on to.
                I don't think it has to do with different networking profiles for one machine.

The software Odyssey Client came with the laptop:
                Funk Group will use their blog to share informortion about Austin TX residential and commercial real estate, and other cool stuff.

I have the impression this allows network profile switching, but I uninstalled it as it seemed to break my network (no connections at all). But perhaps some security settings were set (the software is not very intuitive).

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

I found netsetman:

and Mobile Net Switch:

The Odyssey client that came with the laptop only supports wireless connections. Depending on how you add a wired connection, it either allows you to add it, but it breaks it or either gives you an error message.

Jörg
                  Last edited by VJ; 20 February 2006, 08:23.
                  pixar

Comment

Originally posted by lowlifecat
                    i'm pretty sure you can do all that with just different user accounts. a little tweaking and you can have all your user accounts share the same data but set up differently network wise.
                    Do you have sources on making user accounts share the same data?
                    (might be interesting for something else I'd like to try)

Jörg
                    pixar

Comment

access connections (the ibm tool you mentioned) doesn't work on the fujitsu?

mfg
                      wulfman
                      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                      "Lobsters?"
                      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I acutually haven't tried it (might do that of course)...
                        (but I wouldn't be suprised if IBM limited it)

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Working...
                        X