Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John C. Dvorak: Will Apple Adopt Windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John C. Dvorak: Will Apple Adopt Windows?

Get the latest technology news and in-depth analysis from the expert analysts at PCMag.

This would be the most phenomenal turnabout in the history of desktop computing. There's just one fly in the ointment.

By John C. Dvorak

The idea that Apple would ditch its own OS for Microsoft Windows came to me from Yakov Epstein, a professor of psychology at Rutgers University, who wrote to me convinced that the process had already begun. I was amused, but after mulling over various coincidences, I'm convinced he may be right. This would be the most phenomenal turnabout in the history of desktop computing.

Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Your link doesn't seem to work.
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Wierd, I can't open it now either.
      Wish I'd quoted the whole thing.

I tried indirectly, and it looks like PCMag is having web problems with it's articles.
      Check back later and maybe it will be up.
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

It's not a big deal. I'll check back later.

John C. Dvorak is usually wrong about such things. But he writes as if he's always correct.

I have a friend that just bought a Mac and would love to scare him with this article.
        P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

The article is probably getting slashdotted. Maybe mirrordot has a copy. But yeah, it's Dvorak & his crack pipe at the typewriter again.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Dvorak's articles start as an interesting perhaps-a-little-bit-sensible idea, then quickly become that idea taken to its absurdly illogical final conclusion.
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            If only life were as easy as you
            I would still get screwed

Comment

This would be the second most stupid thing Apple could do.
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I don't really think they will, but then again, everyone said for years that Apple would never use an Intel processor...

I have heard Jobs make several comments that they will be concentrating on their core iPod business the most in the future, seeing how it is currently their most lucrative business.

Jammrock
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I can say No, if for no other reason, Jobs gets too much pleasure every time he introduces a new OSX that impliments features billy boy tries to do in windows, but can't

That and if you have ever seriously used OSX, you already know the answer anyway.
                  Though I could in a way see more and more of osx being opened up to community dev...
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Read this earlier and thought about posting it, but this is just ignorant sputterings from a has-been. Moron.
                    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Jamm: The hardware isn't important, so long as apple controls it and it is stable and fast enough. The user experience is influenced the most by the software, especially the GUI. Maybe Apple will move away from a unix core with OS11 (at some point in time, they certainly will), maybe they will even use windows as a core (though I highly doubt this), but it will always look and feel like Apple, and the iApps will stay exclusive to it. Apple knows they couldn't compete if they just tried to be another PC OEM.

The hardware just isn't important: Who cares what's inside an iPod?
                      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Apple have pretty much stopped being a hardware vendor so all they've got left is their OS, get rid of that and all you'll be buying is a fancy case
                        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Stopped being a hardware vendor? If anything they've increased the amount of hardware they ship. That said, Apple is not a hardware company or a software company, they are both, regardless of what they or any one else may say. Or rather, they sell an experience, a complete solution.

Sure you can now *run* OS X on non-Apple Intel hardware (if you grab your cheeks and hop three times), but most people don't purchase Macs just for the OS. Recent converts might, but these are not the people Apple relies on for continued investments in their Mac business.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                            Stopped being a hardware vendor?
                            I meant from a design point of view, they're just assembling PC clones now.
                            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

They've only brought in and outsourced the mainboard design with and to, respectively, Intel. This hardly relegates Macs to being PC clones. The rest of the systems are being designed just as before save for any changes that were necessary for the introduction of the Intel parts.

An iMac or a Macbook Pro is hardly a PC clone.

Comment

Working...
                              X