petabytes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petabytes

VPNCentral is your go-to destination for VPN reviews, news, guides, comparisons, research, data, and much more!

could be neat if it happens.
    I wonder what sort of transfer rates such technology would offer, as if it takes days/weeks/months to fill, having a petabyte would just be silly
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

no it's not silly, uncompressed 10 bit or 12 bit HD captures will chew that drive up in no time, mind you to increase performance you would have to raid them say 4 1.2 petabyte drives would be sufficiant

Comment

I'm skeptical, all my BS sensors are going haywire
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

defrag would be a bitch too
          Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
            I'm skeptical, all my BS sensors are going haywire
            Maybe, but if you look deeper, the guy had 5MB disk packs back in the mid 70's.

Comment

I bet I can fill that up in less than a year
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Kooldino
                Maybe, but if you look deeper, the guy had 5MB disk packs back in the mid 70's.
                Sure enough I did, and while my BS sensors did stop behauving like klaxons they didnt stop buzzing.

This guy has been at it for 30 years and still trying...

And I wont hold my breath on anything hitting retail...

Somehow he reminds me of the Bitboys
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

What good is it if NTFS can't address it?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                    What good is it if NTFS can't address it?
                    yes, but WinFS is coming out...

Comment

Already have one of them "peta" drives!

http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...ghlight=broken
                      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

*comment deleted because I'm an idiot...
                        Last edited by agallag; 19 February 2006, 13:36.
                        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I always thought petabytes were those lumps of tofu vegetarians ate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
                            I haven't been following Longhorn lately, but I thought I've herd that WinFS was dropped O.O
                            The project has not been dropped, but it will not be shipped with the initial release of Vista. They anticipate that WinFS will ship with the SP1 version of Vista. However, WinFS is planned on being released via a web download for WinXP and Vista within 6 months of Vista's release. A Beta for WinFS came out a little while back:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/data/winfs/ (only available to MSDN subscribers)

Jammrock

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, WinFS will just run on top of NTFS, so the current 16TB/256TB limits of NTFS will still be there. I'm sure they'll eventually extend NTFS to support bigger volumes, but for now there's not really any need.
                              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                              X