Palm OS officially dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palm OS officially dead

But will it's replacement be backwards compatible??

It will be compatible with OS5 apps, while apparently also introducing a completely new interface...kinda like the OS9 Classic Mode/OSX duo, I guess.

You gotta hand it to Microsoft, though..some years ago, when Windows CE and PocketPC were deemed laughable in terms of organizer features, speed and ease of use compared to Palm, who would've thought that they would in a short while completely muscle PalmOS out of the PDA market? The way things are going, it's only a matter of time until Symbian gets taken out of the smartphone arena, Sony out of the console arena, etc. They may never have the best products, but I truly admire the business minds in that organization, nasty tactics et al.
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

RIP Palm OS
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Hey, Palm either needed to go or it needed a big rewrite. It SUCKS for multitasking. I just hope to God that the hundreds of dollars worth of Palm software I've purchased will still work seamlessly.

Comment

Rip...
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

While large in numbers, the Japanese market has no effect on global market share or brand appreciation, because they just use (for the most part) completely different products than in the US, EU or the rest of Asia...so the XBox could still end up dominating the markets, except for Japan.

Comment

Yep. RIP. a good friend of mine who used to write low level code for them is looking for a job.

Comment

The 360 is still not too readily available around here, haven't seen a single one myself, but I hear they have imported ones here and there...so a bit early to judge, but of course at the moment the PS2 has a strong foothold on the market. My point is, the initial 2 generations of Windows Mobile/Windows Media Center/hell, Windows itself didn't sell well either, but later on they completely took over the market.

Comment

People seem to confuse Palm Source and Palm. Access bought Palm Source so whatever they released would no longer be called PalmOS, but Palm themselves, formerly PalmOne, still have the right to use the PalmOS name. AFAIK they still can do what they like with the current Palm OS.
                  When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Yes, but they can't possibly release products for much longer with PalmOS Garnet, hence the spawn of Satan Windows Mobile Treo

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                      Y...hence the spawn of Satan Windows Mobile Treo
                      That was so they had a product to sell to those large dumb corporates who won't buy anything that doesn't have an MS logo on the box That said they were allowed to modify WM5 so it does act more like a Palm device
                      When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Yeah, but bt now it doesn't really matter why they did it, the point is that they did it...and while they'll probably keep two product lines for awhile, my money is not on PalmOS being the one around later on...

Comment

Whilst they can get away with making a WM5 smartphone I don't think it would work for their PDA's, too much competition from HP, Dell, etc.

Comment

I still use my Tungsten T3 every day and love PalmOS, but as a new PDA buyer in the year 2006, I'd think long and hard before going down the PalmOS path...the future looks bleak for it and even now there are some nice things which they don't provide. The Treo650 and newer Palms have Bluetooth 1.2 chips, which could enable stereo headset support and such, but the OS itself is not licensed to use this technology Also, USB-on-the-Go was supposed to be supported by a future accessory for the LifeDrive...nearly a year later, it doesn't seem like it's ever going to get released (why, God only knows). Also, while it's true that a 312MHz CPU saves on battery power, it's just not good enough for PC-encoded video for those of us that are too lazy to re-encode, an extra 1 or 200 MHz helps immensely. Also, for myself, they have not released any device which can be considered a true upgrade from the T3, all their latter models added some functions (like WiFi or persistent memory), but removed others (voice recorder, vibrating alarms, the slider which makes it so damn pocketable). So, the reasons for buying a Palm are somewhat dwindling

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                              Also, while it's true that a 312MHz CPU saves on battery power, it's just not good enough for PC-encoded video for those of us that are too lazy to re-encode..
                              What are you using to play them back? I can play back videos copied from my PC using TCPMP fine on my Treo 650

Comment

Working...
                              X