Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• network: ping ok, but no access

Hello

I seem to have a weird network issue. Two computers, each with bluetooth, and I'd like to put them in network.

The computers show up in the network neighborhoods and can ping each other (even using the names). But I just can't log on to access a network drive.

Both run WinXP pro and are in a workgroup; I'm using the right username and password.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Are you sure they're capable of it? Do they both support OBEX file transfer? Is it on?

What kind of adapters? Did you install the proper drivers manually, or did the MS ones install?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Wombat,

One is a USB dongle (Sitecom), the other is built in in a laptop (Fujitsu-Siemens P1510).
      They both support the bluetooth networking profile; and are shown in the network connections. OBEX works, but this isn't true networking.
      As ping works, this means I have a network connection.
      I suspect my problem to be user authentication.

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Originally posted by VJ
        But I just can't log on to access a network drive.
        What happens when you try?
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

It asks for the username and password:
          username: test
          password: testtest
          the dialog disappears, appears again, but now with the computername in front of the username:
          username: computername\\test
          password: (blank)
          When I retry, I get an authentication failure.

Weird thing is: the exact same thing happens on the wired network at work. But I have full internet access there (just no access to drives).

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

I have tried putting them in the same workgroup, using the same usernames, .... but it always results in this.

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

FWIW, if I log on using the other computers in the network (at work), the computername does not appear in front of the username. So I think this is the problem (at almost behaves as if it were a domain).

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

Have you disabled "simple file sharing" on both boxes? Have you disabled the XP firewalls?
                Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Simple file sharing is disabled. Turning off the firewall yields the same problem..

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

Are you 100% sure that your access rights are correct for the shared folders?

Comment

why are you using double \ ? whether it's domain\user or computername\user it should only be a single \. Is one computer XP Home and the other Pro? I've found this often to be a inconsistent problem. Though one being on a domain and the other not is generally more likely.
                      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Kooldino: yep...
                        Claymonkey: I didn't put them there. The dialog box disappears and reappears with that additional info filled in. I only typed the username, but after reappearing, it shows \\computername\username.

I think I may have found the problem: I uninstalled Fujitsu Siemens Odyssey client (which I think is a sort of network switcher), and it solved the problem (on the bluetooth, I haven't tested the wired network yet).

Any good freeware (open source?) network switchers for Windows? I do intend to use the laptop computer on a multitude of networks...

I might give the Odyssey client another go, but it seriously lacks intuitivity.

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

Working...
                        X