Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Planning future upgrade (mostly GFX related...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning future upgrade (mostly GFX related...)

(Yes, the thread about upgrading my GFX card is up again )

I will probaby make my machine a bit more sensible when it comes to recent games, and been looking mostly at Nvidia stuff (Linux support).
    Questions:

1) The machine is based on Athlon XP 1700+ on SiS746FX (AGP, single channel memory), and it is very unlikelly this will change - next upgrade will be in far future = PCIe so I won't be able to use soon-to-be-bought AGP GFX card anyway.
    The question is: which card won't be unnecessary (given the cpu) overkill? I suppose GF6600 over 6200A is worth it, but 6600GT over regular 6600? (or even 6800 - some 128MB models have price of 256MB 6600GT) Will the difference become negligible because of XP 1700+?

2) Supposedly 6 series NV cards decode practically everything in hardware when playing a movie, even a Divx or Xvid (or even H.264?). Are they all equally good in doing this? I'd prefer to choose one that will handle all that is thrown at it for the longest period of time - this could postpone mobo/CPU upgrade even more, which for me would be a good thing...

PS. Leadtek the safest when it comes to analog image quality?

I would definetly try to stretch to at least 6600gt, it will give you a *reasonable* game play on even the most demanding game.

Comment

Hmm...it seems that in reality only 128MB versions of 6600GT are available, while 6600 is available in 256MB...any ideas which would turn out better? (at least 6800 is ruled out - AGP one has somehow broken vid acceleration)

Comment

I would not worry about more onboard memory.. the GPU speed makes the bigger difference.
        We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Allright, I think I'll aim for 6600GT.

But...which producer? I have an Eizo monitor running 1280x1024@90Hz, so image quality problems could be noticeable...

From what I see, I can choose here among MSI, Leadtek, Asus, Gigabyte, Galaxy (?) and Gainward...
          Oh, and it would be nice if noise would be low...

Comment

Just FYI, NVidia is going to be releasing an updated 7600GT GPU in about 3 weeks. I dunno if you wanna wait on that release and get the 6600GT at an even lower price.
            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Somehow I doubt it'll be an AGP part?

Comment

if its between 128mb 6600GT and 256mb 6600 vanilla then go GT all the way. A more expensive option for AGP would be 7800GS or 6800GS.
                Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Attention: The 6600GT AGP doesn't fit aftermarket coolers for the 6600GT PCIe. AFAIK there's no passive cooler and only one from Zalman (blabla 700 something) that fits. At least the Zalman isn't outrageously expensive.
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

|Mehen|, I still wonder a bit about that though (especially since one of my real life buddies commented on the issue). This card will be working with Athlon XP 1700+ after all...and unfortunatelly on all hardware sites the cards are tested with top of the line CPU's. Who knows if in my case the difference will be worth the price...

az, yes, I'm aware of that. Could be problem, taking also inot account that the Zalman cooler supposedly isn't that quiet. However there's also this option , so perhaps it won't be that bad (especially since two of my uncles "work with metal", one "handtools style", other "computer controlled equipment style")

Comment

the newer the game is the more you will benifit from the extra gpu power - when there are more and more effects its the gpu that will hold you back more than anything.

sidenote: if you are looking to play UT2k7, you will pretty much have to spend $300 CAD + on a vid to run it at decent quality at just 1024. 6600GT won't even cut it.
                      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                      Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

Right now I'm looking to play UT2K3/4

Comment

BTW, if you find a quiet cooling solution for a 6600GT that doesn't involve as much metalwork as the Arctic Cooling hack and is more silent than the Zalman, please let me know. My Asus 6600GT is getting on my nerves.
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I'll definetelly try to...especially since right now my computer is awfully quiet (Zalman 7000 CPU cooler and Chieftec PSU with large 120mm fan at the bottom instead the usual place).
                            But I'm afraid I'll have to go with modded Arctic Cooler...giving up PCI slot :/

PS. Which brand will probably have best image quality?! Help me with this one more, please...

Comment

I've been using a Zalman VF700-AlCu on a PCIe eVGA 6600GT (with dual-DVI). I run it at the lowest speed, which gives me temps about 10C less than the stock cooler. Far quieter too, though that should go without saying. For reference, my CPU cooling setup is a Thermalright XP-90 and a Nexus 92mm fan at 12V. PSU is a Seasonic Super Tornado 400. I replaced the NF4 heatsink with a Zalman NB-47 and pointed a Panaflo 80mm L1A running at 5V at it. The Zalman VF700 is not loud enough to be noticeable among the rest of these components.

FWIW, I found the 2D output quality of the eVGA board slightly better than the Sapphire 9800Pro I used to use. Monitor is a Mitsubishi DP2070 at 1600x1200@85hz.

Comment

Working...
                              X