X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We all want one of these...

CX 200
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

They should have a model that permanently jams mobiles in concert halls, cinemas, restaurants and such-like. The other day, we were in a restaurant when four businessmen were put at the next table to ours. First reaction: they each put their mobile on the table, then started their business disccussion. I think all 4 phones rang at some time or another. When Cypriots speak on the phone, they are so loud they don't even need a phone. When three guys are speaking at the same time at the next table, competing for decibels, then it becomes purgatory. Eventually, I rose and asked them politely to take their phones outside so as not to disturb others. One of them started to verbally lambast me when one of the others said to the other 3 that I was perfectly right and should not have my meal disturbed. He then visibly switched off his phone and two of the others followed suit. The lambaster carried on as before, but was shushed every time his voice rose over 100 dBA. Any restaurant that had a jammer would have my custom!
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

While I normally don't turn my cell phone off, I damn well make sure it's in silent mode and unless it's someone important I won't answer it (or at all depending on the place). If I do answer then I end the conversation in under a minute.

I've found that people like those you mentioned Brian, are like that even when they're not on the phone, so it's as equally as bothersome. They just get worse on the phone. Good to hear one had enough common decency.

I would be all for permanent jamming in those places you mentioned, though there would need to be something in place for emergency call situations. What or how I'm not sure.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Everybody leaves their phone at a desk (phone valet answering ), if the call is urgent, they come an fetch you from your table.

(just kidding)

Given the wide spread of phones, I think it might be interesting for restaurants to have a phone booths (no equipment there, just sound isolated). That way, both the people using their mobile can have privacy, wheras the rest isn't disturbed by it.

I remember the manual of my Siemens S35i gave a hint on how to discretely answer the phone: record a message (in the voice memo), if the phone rings, accept it and press the playbutton for the voice memo. That way, you don't even have to talk.

Jörg
        pixar
        Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I'd have so much fun with one of those. As soon as I'd see someone on a call, I'd cut them off. I'd probably even follow them for a bit in case they decide to call them back and then I'd do it again and again and again and again, until the batteries died! MUAHAHAHAHA!!!

I think they are illegal cause of people like me.
          Titanium is the new bling!
          (you heard from me first!)

Comment

That's a nice idea with the voice memo.

I don't like jammers (emergency calls, and probably important calls for which sensible people leave the room for answering - and as JW pointed out, the people are the real problem, not the phones themselves. They are just tools to help some people be obnoxious.), but it would be nice if phones could be forced to switch to silent mode in theaters etc.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
              Any restaurant that had a jammer would have my custom!
              They don't need a jammer, just a policy. The fact that the restaurant did nothing in your case means they don't care about you.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                I would be all for permanent jamming in those places you mentioned, though there would need to be something in place for emergency call situations. What or how I'm not sure.
                Those places don't need jamming, they could be shielded. Also, there doesn't need to be a provision for emergency calls. If you're expecting an emergency that requires instant response, you shouldn't be sitting at the movies. And doctors still have pagers for a reason.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                  Those places don't need jamming, they could be shielded. Also, there doesn't need to be a provision for emergency calls. If you're expecting an emergency that requires instant response, you shouldn't be sitting at the movies. And doctors still have pagers for a reason.
                  That's the thing about emergencies, you don't always know you or someone close to you is going to have one.

Comment

That's the thing about emergencies, you don't always know you or someone close to you is going to have one.

But also what did you do before the day and age of Cell phones and/or pagers???
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Then how do you know to answer the phone only in the case of emergencies? You'd have to answer every call.

Comment

You went without knowing, but we now have these devices. Just as we have thousands of other modern conveniences that we once did not.

Edit: This was in answer to the above question, not the other.
                        Last edited by Jessterw; 13 February 2006, 10:33.

Comment

You didn't answer my question. Do you inform all of your closest friends and your extended family every time you go see a movie? If not, how will the know only to call if it's an emergency? If you don't know why people are calling, and you fear for an emergency, then you'll have to answer every call?

An emergency can happen at any instant. You'd better not sleep, or shower, or EVER go out of cell range, for fear of missing it

Comment

Then how do you know to answer the phone only in the case of emergencies? You'd have to answer every call.
                            I'm not saying you do know. What I'm saying is that such things need to be considered when implementing any prohibitive system for cell phone usage in the aforementioned and like public places.

An enforcement of courtesy laws enacted to curb disruptive usage would very well help. Make sure your phone is in silent mode, keep any conversations to under a certain duration, if it is an important call then take it outside or to a non-disruptive location, and keep your voice at an acceptable level. These of course are things we should already be doing and admittedly would be hard to enforce.

Comment

You didn't answer my question. Do you inform all of your closest friends and your extended family every time you go see a movie? If not, how will the know only to call if it's an emergency? If you don't know why people are calling, and you fear for an emergency, then you'll have to answer every call?

An emergency can happen at any instant. You'd better not sleep then, for fear of missing it
                              There is such a thing as going too far. I was merely stating that a complete jamming of cell phone usage might not be ideal.

Comment

Working...
                              X