cheap motherboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cheap motherboard?

I am looking to build a cheap rig for my RAID array.

I need a mobo with onboard lan, CPU and RAM. If the mobo doesn't have onboard video then i'll also need a graphics card.

I'm looking to spend as little as possible as this will be essentially netoworked storage.

1GHz + would be nice for the RAID card but I am open to suggestions.

I have been looking for items on ebay, but I'm not sure what cheaper models are reliable.
    any thoughts?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

something like this? http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?inv...2600-N&cat=MBB
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

i think that's better than my pc! LOL

yeah great! Now to find a uk site...
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Why not just go with a very cheap, old-school SIS chipset board for a Duron? If you don't need the processing power, why pay for it?
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I don't want to pay any more than i have to.
          A cheap duron or XP chip will more than suffice.
          I can get the CPUs for next to nothing from ebay, but I don't know much about motherboards.
          Perhaps I should look for another Aus a7n8x-e?

Comment

There are some Asus A7S8X-MX going for around £20 on eBay, these are mATX boards using the SiS 741GX chipset so it has onboard Video, Audio, LAN, etc
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

That's a 754 board, and though cheap I'm not sure how much a second hand Sempron 754 would run at.

For socket A you need a VIA KM400, SIS 741GX (Socket A format) or nVidia Nforce 2 IGP.
              I'd go with nVidia for better integrated video.

edit: Asus A7N8X-VM (or VM400 for DDR 400), Gigabyte GA-7N400V-L, Leadtek WinFast K7nCR18G (had one in my system at work for a couple of months),
              Last edited by Admiral; 13 February 2006, 15:32.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                That's a 754 board...
                Er what is Both the model I mentioned and the one Paddy mentioned are Socket A.
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Admiral, it's a file server - he doesn't need good integrated video

Comment

I think Paddy needs something like this.

Comment

Originally posted by Taz
                      Er what is Both the model I mentioned and the one Paddy mentioned are Socket A.
                      my bad... was thinking K8S-MX

Comment

Originally posted by Goc
                        I think Paddy needs something like this.

Someone paid £33 for that

Comment

I still have a Duron 1300 (I think) lying around. I could send it to you, though at the moment I'm very broke, so I can't afford the shipping :/

Comment

That's very kind of you Az, but I have seen them go for less than the shipping costs!
                            Any old thing will do as long as it is stable.

Goc, that would have been ideal - shame i missed it. Although it didn't have onboard video

Comment

Paddy

I have a working Duron 1200 laying around that you can have. Let me know if you want it.

I may also be about to aquire a socket A mobo (sorry, but it is a PCChips 810LMR) that works fine with the Duron. The reason I'm getting it is because it has never been stable with the XP 2400 that is in it now and I'm hopefully doing him an upgrade simillar to the one I posted about a couple of weeks ago.
                              FT.

Comment

Working...
                              X