last.fm bad recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• last.fm bad recommendations

So last.fm has been monitoring what I've been listening to for a while now.

Can you guess what's it's top recommendation is?

I'm almost embarrassed to say that last.fm is recommending...

Usher!

Ok, something is definitely wrong!

How do you go from listening to Genesis, The Tragically Hip, Cake, Alan Parsons, Bloodhound Gang, etc. to Usher?

It's impossible.

I think that perhaps the record labels have infiltrated last.fm!
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Somebody WANTS you to listen to Usher.. I wonder who?

Comment

Usher I guess.

And maybe his record label.

Comment

yes, of course. surely that must be it.

Comment

R u trying to suggest that maybe I should be listening to Usher?

Do you listen to Usher?

Comment

No, but thousands of white American girls do. Not sure what that says.

*That no isn't related to KvH, wouldn't want to guess what he listens to, but I know he didn't buy it at Walmart :P
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

it says they are brainwashed.

Comment

As I understand it. Usher's music is designed to be self affirming to young pre-teen and teenage girls.

The lyrics are all a jumble of "I like you" "you are good" "you are pretty" "I want to sex you"

For a young girl with body complex issues (and every girl I ever knew had them as a teen) his "music" is like ambrosia.

I even know a girl in her mid 20s that loves Usher. She's actually really attractive. But she's got very little self confidence. It's so obvious why she likes Usher. It made perfect sense to me when she told me. I didn't have to ask.

Comment

Schmosef,

I must be missing something but i checked out last.fm and i'm stuffed if i can work out how to get it to play a song i actually want to listen to.

If you've managed to then you obviously have more patiences than me.

Perhaps this is why it's wanting you to listen to Usher, it figures that you have had enough time or inclination to work it out so you obviously are willing to put up with a lot so would be willing to listen to Usher...
                  ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Motherboard, Intel Core i7 2600K CPU @ 4.3GHz, G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB DDR3 Ram, Pioneer DVR-219L DVDRW, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD, Western Digital Black 1TB SATA HDD, Sapphire Radeon R9 280X 3GB, Everything being driven by Windows 10 Professional (64Bit)...

Bored Yet?

Comment

lol!

Comment

So what's your profile? (here: "zima")

Comment

what else? schmosef!

Comment

Oh, and Delany - it doesn't work that way. The radio rather can't play that one particular song you want to. But there's also logging of things you play locally (obviously rather hard for me - see sig)

Comment

So now last.fm is recommending a song called "Firth of Fifth" by Genesis.

It happens to be one of my all time favourite songs (because of the piano intro) and I haven't listened to it in a while so I was glad to get the recommendation. I've listened to a few times now and for some reason last.fm is still recommending it.

It sees that I've listened to that song a bunch of times now. Shouldn't it move on and suggest a different one now?

Comment

I noticed some things take a while to refresh...hard to blame them really (I certainly don't expect realtime)

BTW, I have and idea about recommendation that started this thread - are you sure that was one from audioscrobbler database/engine, and not, for example, from another user?

Comment

Working...
                              X