Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WinXP firewall issue...

Hi Guys....

My kid's computer, after running fine for months, has stopped the WinXP firewall (which I had enabled) and will not let me access it anymore. I have put Zone Alarm back on and all is OK, but what happened?

I get the message"For your security some settings are controlled by group policy" when I try to access it, and all three options(On/Off/Don't allow exceptions) are greyed out. The kids claim not to have altered the settings (at least knowingly). I have never used group policy, and I am sure they haven't.

I know I am using a better firewall now anyway, but I would like to get control back!

Unrelated thing: On the same pc, the onboard LAN quit, so I put in a Linksys NIC card I had and restored connectivity. (Using default winxp driver). When I went to update driver from the Linksys CD I got "MSVCRTD.DLL not found, and the update stalls. What is this all about, and should I care?

Thanks
    P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Sounds like you're probably infected with something. Start running the anti-spyware programs.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Well, that is what I thought, but MS antispyware has been running for months, and I already ran spybot, adaware and a squared. All clear.
      P4 2.8/533 on MSI 865PE Neo2 Platinum, 1G Crucial, ATI 9600 XT, 5.1 catalyst drivers, TB Santa Cruz, 80G WD 7200 ATA 100, 350W PS Win XP SP2

Comment

run Ewido
        Download FREE AVG antivirus software. Get protection against viruses, malware and spyware. Easy-to-use virus scanner for PC, Mac & mobile. Download TODAY.

DJ

Comment

Working...
        X