Listing filenames into a file with no access to the command prompt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listing filenames into a file with no access to the command prompt

Right, hopefully the collective murcbrain can help me here...

What I need to do is put together a list of all files and their location within a directory structure into a text file of some sort so that I can then paste them into a spreadsheet before writing a bit of VBA to run on them.

Now usually, I'd simply go to the command prompt, think wistfully of the days of DOS, do a dir *.* with the right switches, and pipe it into a file.

The problem is, I'm now at the Dept of H, and this being the government an' all, they have disabled the command prompt in WinXP. Also the "run" dialog is diabled (yes, even with windowskey-R).

So is there another quick and easy way that I'm missing? I could do it with a bit of VBA I reckon, but not too happy with that route for other reasons related to what I'm building. Or even take the directories on a pen drive home, but not happy with that either as I may have to repeat regularly.

TIA

Gnep
    DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Found the solution (that was quick!).

Stupidly they still allow me to create and edit a batch file so I did, and seconds later dir *.* /s >filelist.txt was run

Idiots.

Comment

Glad to be of help!

Just curious: can you run CMD from a batch file?

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Hmmm... just tried that and nope, get a command prompt window that says "this has been disabled press any key to continue". (They've also left the Command Prompt icon in the start/accessories menu which gives the same result. Fools.)

These are the muppets that would be running any sort of ID card scheme in the UK (current lukewarm news topic).

Comment

Weird (didn't know one could disable this)...

Isn't that insulting to the Muppets?

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Comment

There is another way
              I've used this utility for quite a while. With it you can either dump the info to a text file or print it out

No more fumbling with My Computer or Windows Explorer, wishing you could print information about all your files. Karen's Directory Printer can print the name of every file on a drive, along with the file's size, date and time of last modification, and attributes (Read-Only, Hidden, System and Archive)! And now, the list of files can be sorted by name, size, date created, date last modified, or date of last access.
              She also has a simple back-up utility that does all my daily back-ups, automatically, to my networked Raid 5

Comment

Thanks SF - looks interesting. However tried it here and yes, I can download an exe, and then run it, but it won't install (presume I don't have the permissions)... Might give it a go at home.

Comment

Would that be the same stupid D of H that won't allow a relative of mine to open any picture attachments (forcing the use of PowerPoint) but will allow the installation of browser plugins that then completely bork IE?
                  FT.

Comment

Er, yes it would The building I'm in has one fileserver. It has I think about 200Gb of disk space. It is always full, and we keep getting messages to delete stuff.

And the network speed seems to be about as good as a dialup connection.

Therefore despite having supposedly roaming profiles (which don't actually roam properly - the desktop and all settings remain on the local machine), everyone works off their local drives, or thumb drives. REALLY good idea for data security and backup that...

Oh, and we use Lotus Notes. Say no more. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Comment

Man, I wish I still had Lotus Notes......
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Not when it's so slow it freezes your whole system every 15 minutes...

edit: and on second thoughts, yes, it was a nice system, YEARS AGO. Much as I hate to say it, Exchange server and Outlook have moved on a LOOOONG way whilst Notes has stayed still.

Hmmm, I sounded like Gurm then

Comment

If you have rights to install software, you can install .NET 2.0 RTm and Monad (aka Microsoft Command Shell, aka MSH) Beta 3. MSH will eventually replace CMD in future OSs. I've been playing with it lately and it's very powerful, but you just have to learn a lot of new commands.

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                            Hmmm, I sounded like Gurm then
                            SHAME on you
                            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Don't get me started. Had a conversation with a certain MURCer the other day, won a convert to Outlook.

I don't LIKE Outlook... I tolerate it because it's simply better than... oh... any other mail client I've tried.

I welcome suggestions of decent mail clients. By decent, I mean better than Outlook. Already considered, and determined to suck donkey kong, are the following:

- Anything from the Mozilla team
                              - Eudora

So keep them ideas comin'!
                              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                              If only life were as easy as you
                              I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                              X