NASA's Caffeine Findings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NASA's Caffeine Findings

The site where this is coming from has one of those "nutjob" feels to it. I just think the spider pics are cool so I wanted to share.

source: http://www.caffeineweb.com/NASAStudy

In 1995, NASA scientists seeking to measure toxicity relationships examined the webs of spiders dosed with various chemicals. (Source: Noever, R., J. Cronise, and R. A. Relwani. 1995. Using spider-web patterns to determine toxicity. NASA Tech Briefs 19(4):82. Published in Britain's New Scientist magazine, 27 April 1995.)

The spider on marijuana drifted off before finishing the job. The spider on benzedrine, an upper, worked energetically but without much planning. The spider dosed with chloral hydrate, a sedative, soon fell asleep.

But the spider dosed with caffeine was by far the most disoriented and proved incapable of creating even a single organized cell. Its web showed no sign of the "hub and spokes" pattern fundamental to conventional web design.

What does the web of a caffeinated spider (which can hardly be accustomed to the jolt of a morning latte) have to do with human behavior? Unlikely as it sounds, it may be the most vivid illustration of caffeine's effect on caffeine-sensitive people, many of whom may be misdiagnosed and medicated.

"Caffeine-induced psychosis, whether it be delirium, manic depression, schizophrenia, or merely an anxiety syndrome, in most cases will be hard to differentiate from other organic or non-organic psychoses....The treatment for caffeine-induced psychosis is to withhold further caffeine."

Clinical Management of Poisoning and Drug Overdose, 3rd ed., 1998
    Michael W. Shannon, MD, MPH, Director, Lead and Toxicology Clinic, The Children's Hospital; Associate Professor of Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School; Staff Toxicologist, Massachusetts Poison Control System
    Lester M. Haddad, MD, Clinical Professor in Family Medicine, Medical University of South Carolina; Emergency Physician and Active Staff, Bon Secours St. Francis Xavier Hospital
    James F. Winchester, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of Nephrology, Georgetown University Medical Center
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

I'd take everyhting there with a HUGE BOULDER of salt.
    Reason is this: Spiders are insects, humans are large mammals. Different toxins and substances affect us differently.
    Proof of ocncept: Chocolate kills dogs, Kanabis seeds have no ill effect on bird (it's some birds favorite food), etc. etc. etc.
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Actually I have seen the above pictures before in a totaly unrelated source, back in my uni days I was looking into the effects of certain drugs(for recreation) and those pictures seem spot on to what I remember(from 88-90's) which predates those by a quite a few years

I do believe I may have seen similar since studies since them, all quite similar.

And they do effect insects completly different to people, if they were more similar you would expect the LSD and Mescaline to have larger changes.

I think it may be because those drugs which effect us more than insects tend to be hallucinegenic and hence probably effect the higher brain functions, whereas cafeine is a very basic stimulant that will effect basic brain function.

LSD,mescaline thc effects your perception and imagination(amongst other things), you can hardly expect a spider to have his "doors of perception" blown open by a trip
      Last edited by Marshmallowman; 8 February 2006, 07:42.

Comment

Yeah, I bet WE'D get pretty disoriented too after 100 cups of coffee... LOL!
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Pretty much what I have come to realize caffeine in significant amount does to me. I can't touch Diet Mount Dew for that reason.

Comment

I remember first time I saw that I found it odd that some of those drugs actually impacted spiders. (didn't know their neural system was close enough to ours).

As others have said: the only thing it shows it the impact caffeine has on spiders. Sure, it might not be healthy (it has many of the features/consequences of drugs), but people being caffeine-sensitive are the exception. My (allergic) reaction as a child to milk or some pollen also aren't sufficiant to prove that they are bad, even though they (esp. the latter) caused me to end up in an emergency room more than once.
            I do agree with the fact that it is important to correctly diagnose caffeine-sensitivity, but IMO anything that deviates from the ordinary is important to diagnose and be aware of.

HJ: Your web looks like that?

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
              Proof of ocncept: Chocolate kills dogs, Kanabis seeds have no ill effect on bird (it's some birds favorite food), etc. etc. etc.
              Actually, they eat the cannabis because they DO get high. That's probably the reason THC evolved.
              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

damned birds. they can already fly. what do they need to get high for? save the cannibis for those of us who can make good use of it.
                Last edited by schmosef; 8 February 2006, 10:23. Reason: typo
                P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Spiders are insects
                  Hey, you don't see spiders going around calling people lampreys or lancelets or some other chordate do you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                    Hey, you don't see spiders going around calling people lampreys or lancelets or some other chordate do you?
                    I think facts can't & shouldn't be considered a form of bashing. Calling spiders - insects, is just as calling human males - two headed bipedals with enough blood for only one of them to operate fully at a given time.

Comment

which is why overweight guys CAN operate a brain and an erection at the same time (large blood pool to pull from)
                      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

For a second, I thought you've meant they can perform brain surgery while having an erection

Comment

I think facts can't & shouldn't be considered a form of bashing. Calling spiders - insects, is just as calling human males - two headed bipedals with enough blood for only one of them to operate fully at a given time.
                          Except that spiders aren't insects. Period.
                          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Mmmmmmm.... Arachnidae!
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                              Except that spiders aren't insects. Period.
                              try and convince that to my daughter
                              Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                              X