• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simplify y=(x-a).(x-b).(x-c)...(x-z)

y= ?

Extra marks for showing your working.

(Gurm - done this one yet?)
    FT.

I don't feel like writing it out, but y is the 26th power polynomial of x.

x^26 - ..... + abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Were you given this as an assignment, or just making busy work for us?
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Comment

maybe he was just trying to distract us from all the recent political/racial discussions in here.
      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I saw this somewhere recently, but I can't remember where. I think the answer is 0, but I have no idea why.
        Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
          I saw this somewhere recently, but I can't remember where. I think the answer is 0, but I have no idea why.
          Yes. y = 0 because (x-x) = 0 and should require no further explanation from here.

Comment

well somewhere in there you have (x-x) so yeah, 0.
            Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
            Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

for the record** notice the times on the posts
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Yeah, you were 17 minutes later.....clearly a copycat.
                Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

um, no.. 61-17 would be 44 minutes later.

but Andrew failed to explain.

Comment

gwuah? I see both SitFlyer's and my posts as "Today, 00:01"

edit: ty KvH

edit2: i just noticed I missed my 666 post count - d'oh!

Comment

j/k Mehen
                      Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                      [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                        Were you given this as an assignment, or just making busy work for us?
                        You have answered one of my questions. This is Qwizzle number 74(ish).

I recognised the problem, but it has been a long, long time so the brain ached for a while.

Of course, y=0. That sytnax is code for (x-all values).
                        FT.

Comment

Ahh. I see the slip. Sorry. In my defense, that's ridiculous and stupid. LOL.

One does not normally do "x-x", one assumes that x and y are variables and a-z are constants. *shrug*
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Are you still battling on, or have you given up on it? I have to admit to a distinct lack of enthusiasm after the first 60-odd, and needing more hints thereafter, but having got this far I plan to finish it at somepoint soon.
                            FT.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                              Ahh. I see the slip. Sorry. In my defense, that's ridiculous and stupid. LOL.

One does not normally do "x-x", one assumes that x and y are variables and a-z are constants. *shrug*
                              I never thought I'd say this, but this was my exactly my reaction too...

Jörg
                              pixar
                              Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                              X