Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shares tool

I have been dumped on at work...sorta

I need to determine who has a shared file open on the network (shared from 2000 server)

back in my NT 4 days, we had a utility that gave me that info....(name escapes me atm)

so any suggestions? ( I have Backups access permissions for now)
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

I think you can get a good hint by looking at the advanced security settings and checking the current 'owner'. Sorry, not on 2k now so can't check precisely.

HTH.
    FT.

Comment

ditton on the not on exactly on a windows machine

info should be burried somewhere in the CMD line 'net' info for basic shares.

if that doesn't off the top of my head, not sure, sorry.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

well, stumbles across in Computer Management the local shares area, here it does list open sessions and who is looking at what...

thanks guys for the hints
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I'm sure I've seen a utility to do this.

Doesn't NT Server have a control panel gizmo for this? Called "connections" or "shares" or something?

I know you can do a NET command to do it, but that's hardly convenient.
          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
          If only life were as easy as you
          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
          If only life were as easy as you
          I would still get screwed

Comment

OK I don't know if 2k is the same way but both XP and Server 2003 have a pretty easy way to see this. If you go to Computer Management (right click my computer-> Manage; or admin tools -> computer management), you can go to: Computer Management -> System Tools -> Shared Folders -> Open Files.
            Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
            X