Socket AM2 release date?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socket AM2 release date?

Since I first heard about AMD's next socket (socket AM2) replacing 939 and adding DDR2 support, I've been holding out on my mobo/CPU purchase...

But does anyone have any info on when AM2 is supposed to launch?
    Last edited by Kooldino; 1 February 2006, 08:38.

Originally posted by Kooldino
    Since I first heard about AMD's next socket (socket AM2) replacing 939 and adding DDR support, I've been holding out on my mobo/CPU purchase...

But does anyone have any info on when AM2 is supposed to launch?
    last rumour was 2nd quarter.. and you must mean adding DDR2 support
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
      last rumour was 2nd quarter.. and you must mean adding DDR2 support
      Haha, sorry, yes, DDR2 support. Apparently my fingers didn't keep up with my brain there. I'll go fix it.

Where did you hear Q2?

I don't wanna wait that long.

Comment

End of April is what I read, but I can't put my finger on what the source was

Comment

Q2? erm.. that sounds like a very positive expected date as april would be Q2... but i read somewhere.. (too many articles on this floating around...) that it is expected to be out in June (also Q2 but hey thats a long way off)
          Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
          ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

seems I remembered wrong. I have no idea how accurate the inquirer is, but here is what they say:

AMD Socket M2 delayed

Mid-year, not spring

By Charlie Demerjian: Saturday 28 January 2006, 07:11
            WORD HAS IT that the pretty pretty socket M2 from AMD will be a little late. How late? Well we were hearing March, then March/April, AKA late Q1/early Q1. That was the way it would stay for months and months. It looked like a Cebit rollout, availability starting soon after.

Then all of a sudden, we heard September, a big oopsie in the chips world, a 2Q slip. That was the story for about a week, late Q3. Soon after, a bunch more people said it was not late Q3, but early Q3, July or so to be exact. Moral of the story, it is looking an awful lot like a 1Q slip, and a mid-year launch. µ

Comment

That timing should work out pretty well for me. I might just have to upgrade to multicore when those chips come out. Then I can move my A64 3200+ into the HTPC, the AXP 1700+ into the server, and finally retire the old P3-600. Schweet!
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Summer is what I read on the official AMD forums.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I'd wait until 2nd-half or 4th-quarter-ish, whenever AMD goes to 65nm; 3ghz+ speeds on 65nm should be no problem
                  Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
                  Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

I'm gonna wait till i can get a dual core X2 @3ghz for a reasonable sum.

Comment

Well, the FX60 is a dualcore 2.6ghz, so 3ghz - end of the year or early '07 might happen, but definitely in '07. That would/will be a beast of a processor

Or they might pull an Intel at stop just shy (where the hell is the 4ghz??) but I don't think anyone would try to emulate intel

edit: as for when it would be a reasonale sum? sometime in '08 I'd say
                      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                        Well, the FX60 is a dualcore 2.6ghz, so 3ghz - end of the year or early '07 might happen, but definitely in '07. That would/will be a beast of a processor

Or they might pull an Intel at stop just shy (where the hell is the 4ghz??) but I don't think anyone would try to emulate intel

edit: as for when it would be a reasonale sum? sometime in '08 I'd say
                        If intels new offerings are as good as they hope they will be, competition should drive the AMD's low in a hurry

Comment

Very few of Intels desktop offerings have been "as good as they hope" for at least 3 years. Pardon me if I don't hold my breath.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid
                          ----------------------------
                          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
                            Very few of Intels desktop offerings have been "as good as they hope" for at least 3 years. Pardon me if I don't hold my breath.

Dr. Mordrid
                            The Intel 65nms are a definite improvement over the 90s but still have a ways to go. The 45nm process is supposed to be REALLY good though, I hope they don't let us down (can't remember when its due out, not for awhile though)

Comment

Originally posted by |Mehen|
                              The Intel 65nms are a definite improvement over the 90s but still have a ways to go. The 45nm process is supposed to be REALLY good though, I hope they don't let us down (can't remember when its due out, not for awhile though)
                              Shrinking the die and jacking up the clock speed is not my idea of making a CPU "really good."
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X