Are all P3 Xeons equal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are all P3 Xeons equal?

I have recently purchased some P3 Xeons 500/100/2048 (see here).

This sounds really stupid, but I cant get them to fit into my ProLiant 6500 as the heatsink is a fraction too big.

Am i being stupid, or am I supposed to change the heatsink?

Paddy
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

hmm.. it would appear that i need a compaq heatsink part number 179616-004...
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

found one on ebay, but I am not payig £30 for two!

Comment

disc sander??
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Grinder?
          Hacksaw?
          Sledgehammer?
          Chainsaw?
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Actually guys... that's not a bad idea... or is it?
            Has anyone done this before?

Does anyone know how to remove the stock HS from a Xeon? I have found 5 screws but undoing them doesn't accomplish anything - perhaps it is sealed onto the metal plate?

Comment

could be heatsink compound "gluing" it on. try heating it up and twisting the heatsink off, with the screws out naturally
              We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Cheers.
                I might be able to snip the fins down to the desired length... If it wasn't so freezing outside i'd have a look at the server

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                  Cheers.
                  If it wasn't so freezing outside i'd have a look at the server
                  wimp!
                  Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

hey! I've got a cold. I'm very poorly.
                    Ask my wife (insert violins)

Comment

Actually guys... that's not a bad idea... or is it?
                      Has anyone done this before?

Does anyone know how to remove the stock HS from a Xeon? I have found 5 screws but undoing them doesn't accomplish anything - perhaps it is sealed onto the metal plate?
                      Originally posted by tjalfe
                      could be heatsink compound "gluing" it on. try heating it up and twisting the heatsink off, with the screws out naturally
                      It could actually be that the hs IS glued to the cpu, I've seen some rather horrific examples of "what happens when its glue and not HS grease?"

Cheers.
                      I might be able to snip the fins down to the desired length... If it wasn't so freezing outside i'd have a look at the server
                      Sounds like the safest bet
                      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Am i risking overheating if I butcher the HS?

Comment

Am i risking overheating if I butcher the HS?
                          I would say that greatly depends on the extend of butchery. A little off the sides will not hurt, but removing most of the heatsink will
                          We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Working...
                          X