Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• minimizing bandwith usage

Hello,

Sometimes, I need to connect via GPRS (approx 43 kbps). Any suggestions on minimizing the bandwidth used by a computer, and minimizing the amount of traffic it generates?
    This is configured:
    • disabled online updates/checks for various programs
    • browser not loading images/java/javascript
    • mail client is only fetching subjects

Any other suggestions?
    Are there perhaps technologies (like Opera Mini uses) to shrink web traffic?

Is it possible to set Firefox to only display cached images (there is the imglikeOpera plugin, but I'm not sure it always works correctly)?
    (Opera has this setting..., I know, az )

Jörg
    Last edited by VJ; 1 February 2006, 03:26.
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

You could increase your browser cache, set it to only check document changes on reload, so that other content is always pulled from cache if available.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
      You could increase your browser cache, set it to only check document changes on reload, so that other content is always pulled from cache if available.
      Hmm, Firefox has no settings concerning *when* the cache is reloaded...

Presumable, Opera has?

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

Any comments on FasterFox:

According to many of the opions, it abuses the internet to speed things up (by prefetching stuff).

One of the comments states that while this can be true if you use it on fast accesses, this won't be an issue on slow connections.
        I'm a bit weary about using a plugin with that type of comments, allthough prefetching can be disabled (which I think is necessary for my situation: my guess is that prefetching increases the amount of data transferred).

Any comments?

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

I notice you're trying to get firefox to behave like another browser...
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

It does begin to sound that way, doesn't it?

Jörg
            pixar

Comment

Google web accelerator on top of that all? (with prefetching of pages turned off of course)

Comment

I checked it out, but they claim it only accelerates on broadband.

I think they use up more bandwith in order to deliver faster.

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

Actually, they claim it is tweaked best/gives best results on broadband. But there is "dialup" setting also.
                  (and I don't think it uses more bandwith...it caches a lot and zips everything)

Comment

Ok, I'll also give it a go...
                    (but it does seem pretty close to FasterFox)

edit: http://webaccelerator.google.com/support.html#basics3
                    3. Can I use Google Web Accelerator with a dial-up connection?

Dial-up users may not see much improvement, as Google Web Accelerator is currently optimized to speed up web page loading for broadband connections.

Jörg
                    Last edited by VJ; 7 February 2006, 09:14.
                    pixar

Comment

The full Mozilla has a lot more preferences then Firefox.

You can also muck around the hidden config. Type in the address bar:
                      about:config
                      Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                      Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                      X