Routing problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing problem

I seem to have a problem with my Netgear DG814 ADSL Router.

It will happily stay connected for months at a time, but it i leave Azerus (a bittorrent client) running overnight, it seems to cause the router to stall. The status report indicates that the router is still connected to PPPoA, but I can't browse websites via explorer or opera.

Disconnecting and reconnecting the router via the web console results in temporary resolution but only for a second. It is enough to allow whatever web page was trying to load to suddenly appear.

If i 'recycle' the power then the router works fine.
    Until the next time I load Azerus.

Any suggestions, apart from stop using Azerus!
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

The problem is that it's swamping the router. There are several reasons this can happen.

On my Linksys Wireless-G, two things cause this:

1. Lots and LOTS of ack requests swamp the router's caches on an ongoing basis... just turning off Azureus and waiting a while would work as well as rebooting in this case.

2. Linksys, in their brilliance, decided that the router should cache IP addresses looked up... for 5 days! Yes, that's right. Once the memory on the router fills up, all lookups will fail. All of them. Yikes! And there's no "ditch the oldest looked up IP" option. All lookups just get denied. This has, of course, been fixed in the aftermarket firmwares. And Linksys is FINALLY fixing it now (after a year or more of denying it was a problem).

I suspect that you have the first problem. There are two options.

1. Get a better firmware. This may or may not be an option. The Linksys G routers have a rabid aftermarket fanbase. But I don't know about yours.

2. Stop using Azureus. I am currently a BitSpirit convert... coming from BitComet which ALSO has the same problems as Azureus. Too many upstream requests that take forever to fulfill swamp the router. BitSpirit has an option "don't freeze cable/DSL routers". Hah!
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    If only life were as easy as you
    I would still get screwed

Comment

My D-Link 624+ has the same problem: The router just hangs if there are too many connections (filesharing clients, especially from serverless networks like Kademlia (Overnet)). It sometimes runs for days without problems, sometimes it hangs twice in an hour.

Gurm, I've just bought a WRT54G rev3.something - is there any firmware in particular you can recommend?
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
      X