Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Risks of using ATX psu with ATX 2 motherboard ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Risks of using ATX psu with ATX 2 motherboard ?

Google doesn't seem to be my friend on this issue and my skills on searching MURC are a bit rusty, so I remembered reading here that you risk damaging the motherboard in time with this combination.

Could someone elaborate an maybe explain if there are any other risks for the CPU, video card ?
    Last edited by Admiral; 28 January 2006, 20:16.

I believe the atx-2 spec specifies a minimum of 720ma on the 5v stanby line (pin 9)
    If the power supply cannot deliver this, there may be problems with powering up, or damage to the power supply.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

edit

hmm, +5VSB:

min load 0A
      max load 2.0A

it's an Antec 550w True Power (older ATX 1 model)
      Last edited by Admiral; 28 January 2006, 14:42.

Comment

ATX 2.0 is more of a MINIMUM specification than anything. So even piss-poor PSU's must come up to a certain standard. Good PSU's are already that good.

But you will need an adapter.
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

adapter, can't I just plug it in and leave the other 4 pins on the motherboard unused ?

Comment

So the adapter actually splits power from +5, +12V... and supplyies it to the extra (PCI-E) 4 pins on the motherboard ?

Comment

AFAIK the extra 4 pins only provide additional lines to lower resistance. This is only necessary for systems with a very high power draw.

Look it up before rushing out to buy something; I am sure you can just leave the extra pins unconnected.
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I beleieve AZ is correct - my Asus mobo manual has the connector marked as 'optional'
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
                  I beleieve AZ is correct - my Asus mobo manual has the connector marked as 'optional'
                  My DFI says that you're likely to experience instability if this connector is not fed.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yes, because the higher resistance may cause the line voltage to sag a little, especially when under heavy load. I've read several reviews now that say the additional pins are only necessary for systems with a high current draw.
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

And on some systems its mandatory, most dual opterons boards..etc

Comment

Working...
                      X