I185 boards or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I185 boards or not?

Building another machine for a friend. He wants a 1 GHz PIII, and the BX is limited to 850MHz (since I can't find a socket370 1GHz 100MHz FSB PIII anywhere)

Should I go for a CUSL2-C with Marvel G400 and a Promise Raid card, or should I stick to a CUBX-E and tell my friend to be happy with an 850 MHz PIII?

J-kun

Edit: subject should be i815 of course, but can't seem to correct subject line in edit mode

[This message has been edited by Jkun (edited 18 May 2001).]

There's nowt wrong with the 815 chipset.

I run an Intel D815EEA mobo with a P3 1GHz and it's just fine and dandy.

I was hoping to get a CUSL-2 but it fell through

I don't see that you'd have any problems using it instead of the BX board. If your friend has the money, then go for it.

The reason you can't find a 1GHz chip with a 100MHz FSB is because they are set to run at 7.5x133, and not 10x100.
    Phils PC Mods - a rough guide

Comment

Currently have about 40 of the D815EEA mobos in the field with no complaints - about 10 are running G400 Marvels and 7 are running eTV G450s.

All of them ran AGP 4x out the box with no tweaks required.

Have about 15 running the "dreaded" PCI HPT370 Raid controllers on both W2K and W98 with no complaints. Also have 5 running FT100 Raid with no complaints.

I know Dr Mordrid and others have a few very particular objections to the board (AGP aperture size of only 64M and memory limited to 512M etc), but I find them reliable performers - even though they are expensive

------------------
      Lawrence
      Lawrence

Comment

Is the AGP Aperture limit of 64 of any importance for Marvel use?

Neko

Comment

I have not run into any hassles yet - but then myself and my customers may not be using the chipset to its full capacity.

There are other people that had a lot of technical reasoning behind it being a limitation (I seem to remember something about DV issues)

------------------
          Lawrence
          Lawrence

Comment

The main issue with the i815 was with the RT-2000 and other devices that have problems with small AGP apatures. These ran best with an apature of 256 megs.

This problem was fixed with the RT-2000 when the 3.0 MEGA pack drivers were released.

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
            X