• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hamas won the elections

Hamas wins clear parliamentary majority in Palestinian elections
    Palestinian cabinet resigns en masse to clear stage for Hamas
    EU: Will work with any 'peaceful' Palestinian government
    "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

I'm confused, is it just one spokesman of Hamas claiming over 70 seats or is that the actual estimate? I don't know, I *think* that having a Hamas (absolute) majority is preferrable to having a weak coalition without them and Hamas able to walk away from any responsibility.

I mean, with Hamas at least you are either talking (when they accept Israel) or are at a clear conflict with them. With a weak coalition (without Hamas), it's a bit of a hammer and anvil: the PA will maintain they are a partner when in reality they are not in control and can not make any representations towards Israel. Anyway, not sure what to think about this otherwise.
    Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
    [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Same here. Time will tell I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
        I mean, with Hamas at least you are either talking (when they accept Israel)
        Given that the group's charter reads something to the effect of:

"Destroy Israel at all costs, drive all Jews into the ocean and kill them and their children and their children's children forever and ever. DEATH TO JEWS!"

I doubt they'll "accept Israel".
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

Hopefully they'll concentrate more on their own state than their neighbours.
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by TransformX
            Same here. Time will tell I suppose.
            I guess. Good luck. I know Israelis my not disclose their voting behaviour but any idea yet what you'll be voting in March?

@Gurm: My point was not that they might but that having a Hamas-controlled PA, which clearly does not accept any "zionist entity" strenghtens the Isreali position internationally as opposed to a "dovish" PA who can not deliver anything meaningful to Israel in the area of security and acceptance/recognition.

Not sure this makes sense though and neither does TX (I assume he meant). What do you think?
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
              I guess. Good luck. I know Israelis my not disclose their voting behaviour but any idea yet what you'll be voting in March?
              I'll vote for one of the right winged parties, they're a crazy bunch but at least they're honest.

Comment

Two of the biggest questions rising here now are:
                1. If Israel (Sharon) ran away from gaza with our tails between our legs, taking thousands of people from their houses and jobs, ruining the lives of whole families in the name of 'peace', how come Hamas, which is a terror organization became the strongest in Gaza?
                2. If the majority of Palestinians voted for a terrorist organization (Hamas) does it a. prove that the majority of Palestinians do not want peace and that b. there are no 'innocents' on the Palestinian side, since once they vote for a terror organization, which some of his political members are parents of martyrs, all their voters are terror supporters, if not potential terrorists themselves?

edit: Been thinking a bit and thought I should add this:
                With all due respect (none whatsoever) to all the people crying about Hamas winning the elections, Yasser Arafat was no less a Terrorist and bloody murderer than they are, yet the world gave him a state, respect, TONS of money etc. Hamas will be no worse than he was so I don't expect things to get worse now that they're elected. Practically, nothing changed, maybe (hopefully) some of the silly illusion and sand that the arabs threw in most people's eyes will go a bit.
                Last edited by TransformX; 26 January 2006, 07:34.

Comment

Well, Hamas already was the strongest in Gaza. I have yet to see a reasonable argument that the disengagement has made them stronger (or weaker). I don't see how a majority of Hamas voters make all guilty (even if I followed the line of argument).

Comment

So much for "the roadmap to peace"

Gentlemen, start your (rocket) engines.....

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid
                    ----------------------------
                    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hamas will do what Fatah did and formalise a separate division to conduct their terror operations. Then they'll hold their hands out and say that they need money to combat the terrorists.

And the MSM will take what they say at face value and scorn Israel for being pessimistic.
                      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Hamas winning the election is not a good thing!!

Here's another 10 years of terrorism and acts of war!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef
                          Hamas will do what Fatah did and formalise a separate division to conduct their terror operations. Then they'll hold their hands out and say that they need money to combat the terrorists.

And the MSM will take what they say at face value and scorn Israel for being pessimistic.
                          I'm not so sure. IMO, MSM was never favourable of the PLO until they agreed to strike the destruction of Israel out of their charter (regardless of whether they actually did or did correctly formaly etc).

Comment

Thinking on this a bit more....

The only real difference between Fatah and Hamas is that the former had the UN, Euro-Weenies and most (but thankfully not all) US Democrats flummoxed into thinking they were a "responsible partner in peace", which they of course were not. Not even close.

At least with Hamas we have truth-in-advertising

Dr. Mordrid
                            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 26 January 2006, 13:22.
                            Dr. Mordrid
                            ----------------------------
                            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

My point is that the MSM is already falling overthemselves to declare Hamas reformed and casting Israel in a negative light for not wanting to work with them.

I don't have any immediate links but I see articles like that quite frequently and will start posting them if you want to see.

Hamas hasn't even gone as far as the PLO did in terms of accepting Israel and they're already receiving the stamp of legitimacy.

A new generation of rich and corrupt Arab leadership will emerge. The Palestinian people will continue to suffer hardships despite receiving the largest amount of per capita aid money in the world. And the political left will be all too eager to agree with the false claim that Israel is at fault.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

It seems like Israel is the only party that actually wants to see living conditions for the Palestinian people improve, if only to be able to deflect criticism. Living conditions for the average Palestinian were certainly much better pre Oslo.
                              P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Working...
                              X