No announcement yet.

2006 - What are you looking forward to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 - What are you looking forward to?

I'm just curious about what other people are looking forward to, technology wise, in 2006? It doesn't have to be stuff you are going to buy ... or even ever afford to buy ... but stuff that interests you. Here's my list.

Software:

Windows Vista - Build 5270 put a little faith back in me that Vista really was on track for a 2006 release and wouldn't suck. True I haven't tested it on my non-dual-core system yet, but the interface is clean and responsive, and overall seems like it will be a good product. The interface still needs some tuning, but it's only in Beta 2, so I'm not worried.

Supreme Commander - The spiritual successor to Total Annihilation. I see myself wasting away in front of the computer for 2-3 months when it comes out. I am VERY excited about this title.

Office 12 - I've played with the beta, and it is completely different than previous versions. It's very annoying at first, and has a steep learning curve, but once you learn it, it is very easy to use.

Hardware accelerated video editing - not new to the pro's, but with ATi and nV building HD solutions to battle in 2006, cheap HD video solutions will abound.

Hardware, Computer:

65nm CPUs - The 65 nm process has been good to Intel chips thus far, and if AMD can get their next multi-core rev. on 65 nm it will do wonderful things.

AMD's next gen mobo architecture - DDR2, AM2 (or whatever the new socket is), and the new mega-huge socket for server mobo's, plus a revamped memory controller for DDR2 should put AMD even farther ahead of Intel. Competition is good.

OLED keybaord - Can't recall the name. Optimus? No matter the price and lifespan, it looks DAMN cool.

Hybrid HDDs - It's about time someone did something to speed up HDDs. If the hybrid HDD concept works, it will make many people happy, including me. More than likely I'll be the first in line to buy one so I can load Vist UE on it.

Solid State HDD - Though I doubt a reasonably prices SS-HDD will be out in 2006, rumors that IBM/Infineon will start releasing MRAM (magnetic RAM) for small electronic devices (such as cell phones) this year could kick start interest in solid state, non-volitile HDD solutions. The final bottleneck broken ... hopefully by 2010.

Hardware, other:

Wilson Duette bookshelf speakers - This is one of those pipe dream things. My favorite speaker maker has finally released a speaker under $10k, 250 lbs. (per speaker), and can be hidden in a room. Initial reviews from CES call them phenominal sounding. Now, how to talk to the wife into the $9k purchase price...

1080p - Though there were a few true 1080p devices out in 2005, 2006 will be the year of 1080p. DLP, SXRD, LCD, Plasma, and maybe a surprise or two. Once the competition between 1080p devices hit, prices will finally drop, and Jammrock will move in for the kill.

HD-DVD/Blu-ray - Though I've become disenfranchised with the whole HD/BD battle already, it will still be interesting to see how things play out this year. I hope this battle ends quickly, personally. I'll need some HD content for my new 1080p TV.

That's all I can think of for now.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Affordable DVB-T DVD/HD recorders.

Bluetooth-enabled HD mp3 portables that work as external storage devices: You can transfer files to and from them via Bluetooth, but you can also transfer their digital audio wirelessly to a BT receiver that outputs them via line out or S/PDIF.

Generally more affordable stuff like LCD TVs, big LCD computer screens, beamers etc.

HTPCs, also from some of the big japanese home entertainment firms (and Philips).

More client/server based home entertainment.

Hopefully a standard for sharing media files over WLAN that manufacturers can agree to, so devices from the big players are interoperable with one another and PCs.

An Apple HTPC isn't too much to ask for, is it? I couldn't afford it, but I'm sure it would give new impulses to the industry.

Spaceshifting: Like timeshifting, but enabling you to "shift" your media to all kinds of devices over the internet.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

court battles with state depts

ugly divorce over with (after 8 years)

poverty

pretty much sums it up

OH .............and 2 weeks vacation

(rereads top post)
      Sorry, a new PC 8P hopefully an opteron, transparent case and gigabit at home BEFORE poverty strikes
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Hey - it was supposed to be about technology - but since I'm obviously not the only one who'd share personal expectations of the new year, I'll open a thread about that now
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

For me:
          - arrival of my Fujitsu Siemens P1510 (subnote convertible tablet PC), with MS Tablet PC

Other than that, I'm not really expecting much (other than the normal technical evolution).

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Samsung 710N second hand
            Enermax 600W Coolergiant/Noisetaker
            Asus A8N-E
            Leadtek 7800GT
            Asus 1608P2S
            Canon Lide60 USB scanner
            74GB WD Raptor

Comment

HD (tv's, blueray/HDDVD, etc.) - maybe splurge on a projector?

Nintendo Revolution

Maybe a new computer w/ dualcore AMD M2, DDR2 etc. and an almost flagship card (ie a XT instead of a XTX or a GT instead of a GTX) at the end of summer. Maybe a laser mouse too, like a Logitech G5, although I still really like the MX510.
              Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
              Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Comment

-Quad Core CPU's
                -Dual Core GPU's (if they are even thinking of making them)
                -Solid State HDD's (hopefully MRAM will be available at decent prices soon)
                -Software and OS's designed for dual/quad core cpu's
                -OSX on a PC.
                -PS3
                -Nintendo Revolution
                Titanium is the new bling!
                (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
                X