Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to clean an LCD?

Hey all,
    I've been keeping really good care of my new LCD, but it's due for a cleaning. I've never tried to clean one of these before. What should I use?

I'm interested in both the "wow, it's dirty and needs Windex" and the "it's got some dust, better dust off the screen" kinds of dirty.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

if you use a spray cleaner, make sure you spray on the cloth, not on the screen, before wiping
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Do not use cleaners containing alcohol, they can make the plastic screen brittle and milky. I've heard one should be cautious with glass cleaners and CRT cleaners. There are specialized LCD cleaners out there.
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

What about the fabric used to clean? Paper towel?
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I wouldn't use a paper towel. I'd buy one of those super soft cloths used for cleaning things like guitars.
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I think any soft cloth will do. A microfibre cloth, like those used for cleaning glasses, might be best though. And of course don't press or rub too hard.

All this assuming your LCD isn't one of those design models with glass in front of the panel.
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Well let's see...

I'd use an old soft t-shirt as the cloth, and warm (not hot) water as the cleaning solution. That's pretty much it. If it's SUPER dirty, maybe a very dilute solution of dish soap and warm water.
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

I use the clear Windex (vinegar based) sprayed sparingly on a cotton dishtowel (same type of soft cloth as an old t-shirt) then wipe the screen.

Comment

Monster has a screen cleaner spray that works really well on my big screen TV. It comes with a soft cloth.

Not sure if it's ok to use on an LCD screen but it does an amazing job so I recommend trying it if it is.

I'll check the bottle when I get home.
                  P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

I got some cleaner from Target that gives you both wet and dry wipes to use to clean LCD screens with. Works pretty good. They kinda look like baby wipes in small plastic wrap container thats resealable.

I think for a package of 25 it was 6 bucks..over in the electronics dept
                    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

The bottle for the Monster Screen Clean stuff has a picture of a laptop on it so I assume that it's LCD safe. It doesn't say so specifically though, and I threw out the packaging when I first opened it so I'm not 100% sure.

You place must be much dustier than mine because I've had two Dell 20" and one Samsung 19" LCD monitors for about a year and I've not needed to clean them once.
                      P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                        Well let's see...

I'd use an old soft t-shirt as the cloth, and warm (not hot) water as the cleaning solution. That's pretty much it. If it's SUPER dirty, maybe a very dilute solution of dish soap and warm water.
                        yup, pretty much the same, read I guide that recommended distiled water and a soft cloth that doesn't leave "impurities" or scratches the panel

Comment

Working...
                        X