• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 802.11n ... almost there ...

Looks like the IEEE has approved a draft. Fast wireless, here we come
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

The UWB alliance just liquidated itself, I wouldn't hold my breath for wireless USB anytime soon.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

You can get USB over ethernet and USB over WiFi bridges if you need long cables or wireless, but they're expensive (couple hundred EUR) and don't work with all devices.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrono_Wanderer
        Oh my. O.O That sucks. Man... I've heard u can plug an adapter into a normal USB device and it'd become wireless. That would be cool... you can get wireless cameras, scanner sharing... etc...
        Yeah, but WUSB sucks up a good bit of power, so you'd need soemthing with a decent source.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

It really depends on what you call "almost there".
          802.11n is not expected to be ratified until November 2006 with products to market not really expected much before December 2006.
          I say 11 months is still some time off and that is as long as they keep to schedule...
          It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
          Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

Originally posted by Paulr
            It really depends on what you call "almost there".
            802.11n is not expected to be ratified until November 2006 with products to market not really expected much before December 2006.
            I say 11 months is still some time off and that is as long as they keep to schedule...
            hey... considering all the 'n' consortiuum has done up to this point is bicker like a bunch of children, this IS almost there. A draft means they can start building pre-n stuff that will be upgradeable to true-n once the spec is fully ratified. Broadcom has already announced a line of pre-n deviced that will be upgradeable to 'n' when complete.
            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

I thought the UWB alliance was seperate than the wireless USB groups since its a totally different technology. I spoke with some people at CES regarding wireless USB and it sure looked like it was going forward. I remember the big slow prototypes at last the show last year, and this year there were transmitter/receiver chipset pairs with streaming video demos.

Comment

WUSB is based on the UWB PHY. I don't know how it affects WUSB that there is no UWB standards committee anymore, maybe the PHY is already finished and WUSB development can continue, but other UWB applications won't see the light of day soon.

Comment

Working...
                X