Buffalo TeraStation Home Server 1.0TB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buffalo TeraStation Home Server 1.0TB

Anbody have any experience with this company or products? I'm looking for a more robust backup system for my home network. This product seems to have everything I could want. The main benefit(for me) is 480Mbps over Gigabit, disk management and RAID 5.

http://www.buffalotech.com/products/...&categoryid=25
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Buffalo has been here in Japan forever, products are usually in the upper middle quality range.
    my 20gig portable hdd is from them, switches, lots of ethernet products etc.
    It won't be built like an IBM tank, but it is a well known and popular brand name here.
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Slashdot has had some like topics lately. I recommend you go through the comments. No specific review of Buffalo, but one of a competitor, and a general "home backup" thread.

It happened again- a machine on my home network died. Taking with it tons of data. It's mostly backed up. No huge loss. But I finally think it's time to get some sort of network raid disk. A unified place to safely store data accessible to the numerous machines on my home lan. So now I pose to...

We recently had in the office one of the Yellow Machine that's made by Anthology Solutions. The Yellow Machine, in a nutshell, is a pretty looking machine roughly the size of a decent UPS box that's got either 1 TB or 1.6 TB of storage space, with the all RAID fun and such. We ran with it here fo...
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I was looking at the Terrastation for a customer but after a lot of reading it appears it has some issues, mostly to do with performance I came accross some NAS boxes from Infrant which look like a better option

There's an unofficial Buffalo support forum here :-
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

There's also the Infrant ReadyNAS X6. It's gotten a lot of critical acclaim, and you can buy just a shell for ~$600 and put in your own hard drives. Like the 400 GB WD Caviar RE2 WD4000YR.

Tom's Hardware helps you buy the best hardware and build the best PC to play, create and work..

Measurements, including TerraStation: http://www.tomsnetworking.com/Review...rodID-H2H5.php

Jammrock
          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Thanks for all of the info from you all. I haven't had a chance to go through it yet, but I will.
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I have their LinkStation 250GB and am very pleased with it. The setup was a snap. The builtin ftp server is simple but works well for just occasional file swaps with friends. I just open and forward port 21 on my router when we have something to share.

The only downside is that the OS (linux) is on the drive so you cant just put in a bigger drive when you want.
              Home Brewer the Quintessential Alchemist!

Comment

Here's a little piece about this topic: http://www.dansdata.com/gz043.htm
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

After looking at a bunch of different options, the Infrant ReadyNAS X6 barebones that Jammrock recommended seem sto be the best solution for me. I like being able to upgrade drives at a later time. Their website claims a 2TB limit, but I'm guessing a firmware upgrade could raise that? What do you guys think? Also, speed is the most important factor for me since I will use this drive almost everyday rather than just a backup system, though it will be used for that too.

Currently I use the Linnksys NSLU2 with two USB drives attached. It works perfectly for what I want, but it is too slow. The problem is that I have all of my photos on the NAS and when you open up Canon's Zoombrowser software, it wants to laod htumbnails of all images, so it hangs for a good 2-3 minutes while loading everything. I know, I could use different software, but I don't want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                    After looking at a bunch of different options, the Infrant ReadyNAS X6 barebones that Jammrock recommended seem sto be the best solution for me. I like being able to upgrade drives at a later time. Their website claims a 2TB limit, but I'm guessing a firmware upgrade could raise that? What do you guys think?
                    I wouldn't bet on it. Addressable space limitations are often either part of the hardware (only so many address pins), or part of the filesystem's limit for address space.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Infrant just released a new NAS device, the ReadyNAS NV:

Can't find a RAID size limit in the product info though, but seems to be getting good reviews. And looks pretty cool too.

Reviews:

Jammrock

Comment

It's 2TB for the NV as well. Thanks for posting these, Jam. It looks good. Damn, it'll get expensive though. Let's see, new non-blocking gigabit switch, new nic card, 2 new hdd's, one nas server, ouch!

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                          ... new non-blocking gigabit switch ...
                          Dell provides technology solutions, services & support. Buy Laptops, Touch Screen PCs, Desktops, Servers, Storage, Monitors, Gaming & Accessories

...if you don't mind buying something from the enemy

Comment

Fortunately, I get a substantial discount. Last I checked it was 60%(only on Cisco not Linksys). There is a cap on how much I can spend per year. I think it is ~$5000. I don't think I'll be spending $5000 though I want to buy a low end switch that is running IOS. This will give me the ability to do a lot of things I wouldn't normally be able to do with Linksys or something similar.

Comment

Well, I'm finally gonna pull the trigger on the ReadyNAS NV. I can't afford the hard drives yet, so I bought the barebones unit and I'll plug my two external USB drives that I already have and use those as a backup solution until next paycheck And then I'll add a drive/month. I also need to buy the gig switch. I've settled on the Linksys SRW2016 Gb switch.

Comment

Working...
                              X