No announcement yet.

Singer Wilson "Wicked" Pickett dies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Singer Wilson "Wicked" Pickett dies...

of a heart attack at age 64.

For those too young to know his name you should know him by his signature soul/R&B songs "Mustang Sally" and "In The Midnight Hour". "Mustang Sally" was a keynote song performed by the cast in the '91 movie "The Commitments".

Producer Jerry Wexler, who had prevously worked with Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles and Dusty Springfield, said that Picketts sessions were his most memorable.

"There was something about those records and Wilson's voice — those were some of the funkiest, deepest grooving, in-the-pocket recordings I ever heard. The thing about Wilson was he was just a great screamer, but he did it with control. James Brown would scream and it was a scream, but Wilson could scream notes. His voice was powerful, like a buzz saw, but it wasn't ever out of his control. It was always melodic."

I'll NEVER forget long ago seeing Wilson Pickett perform live with The Four Tops at a small club near Detroit. We had gone to see The Four Tops, but soon in strolls Wilson Pickett and the next thing we knew they were all jammin' the roof down. Pickett had a history with the Stubbs brothers of The Four Tops in that at one time or another they had all been members of a group called "The Falcons".

That was one long, rockin' night and only about 150 people were there to see it. Wish to hell there were camcorders back then....

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 January 2006, 20:29.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

RIP Wicked Pickett.

Just saw Only the Strong Survive on IFC last week.
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Oddly enough I was a big fan when I was younger, but sadly I'd let my interest fade over the years. Wish I'd done so before, but it's nice to rediscover him and remember why I loved his musical style to begin with.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Working...
      X