$#!*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $#!*

The Mega American Company Motto: If you can't beat 'em, buy 'em.

()$# %)(*@#%*! _#@*!)^%#)(&^_)!($))(#&+!)(*! _@#)%*
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I guess Disney is running out of old fairy tales to rip off and want something new again ..
    Now what is stopping Pixars employees from jumping ship and starting up PIXAR2 ?
    With an animation company, you really have nothing without the employees
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

Either way, Jobs must be having a good chuckle. Disney knows it can't create, even through other animation houses, the kind of quality that Pixar can. Look at all the successful Disney movies over the past decade. They've almost all featured a hoping lamp during opening credits

I'm not so sure this isn't something that Pixar would want to happen, as long as they still have a level of autonomy.
      Last edited by Jessterw; 19 January 2006, 10:31.
      “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Steve Jobs would have to be stupid to allow this. He would become the biggest Disney stockholder, but that stock value would drop big time. Doesn't he remember being forced out of Apple by carreer B-School execs the first time?

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
          I guess Disney is running out of old fairy tales to rip off and want something new again ..
          Now what is stopping Pixars employees from jumping ship and starting up PIXAR2 ?
          With an animation company, you really have nothing without the employees
          There are a lot of proprietary rendering processes that are probably owned by PIXAR.

Plus, if I was Jobs, I have had all the employees sign non-competition clauses in their contracts.
          P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
            Steve Jobs would have to be stupid to allow this. He would become the biggest Disney stockholder, but that stock value would drop big time. Doesn't he remember being forced out of Apple by carreer B-School execs the first time?
            I rather bet that Jobs would have a long list of specific contractual obligations that Disney would have to meet. Jobs has certainly learned from his first ousting, as his list of demands on his return to Apple were extensive as well. He's not going anywhere.

Putting it in a relative perspective, Jobs is more secure in his position than say Bill Gates or even most of the head Disney executives.

Additionally, I highly doubt any purchase or whatnot would occur without the consent of several key Pixar employees.

Comment

This would make Jobs the biggest Disney shareholder... with Roy Disney as a close second. Wait, what's that I see? A complete ouster of the current Disney management because between them those two control like 75% of the company?

OH THE HORROR (not)!
              The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
              If only life were as easy as you
              I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
              If only life were as easy as you
              I would still get screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Gurm
                This would make Jobs the biggest Disney shareholder... with Roy Disney as a close second. Wait, what's that I see? A complete ouster of the current Disney management because between them those two control like 75% of the company?

OH THE HORROR (not)!
                An ousting of the a$$hats that f'ed up Disney would be nice. But I don't know about Pixar being bought out. IF Jobs negotiated a clause that made Pixar an autonomous animation studio, but would fall under the Disney umbrella, in a very similar way as it is now where Jobs writes off on the ideas, Pixar does the movie, Disney distributes and both reap the rewards ... then I can see it working.

However ... it would require said ousting of the bastards that are f'ing up Disney. Otherwise they would dink with Pixar so much it would destroy the company.

Speaking of which ... I wonder what the next project is after Cars?
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

If this happens lets hope Roy and Steve play well together. That would be a very interesting partnership.
                  Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Well they both despise some of the current and former execs, so I can see them having at least that in common.

Comment

looks like Nowhere beat me to it.

Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

This isn't the only "merger" in the offing.

Warner and CBS have announced that the WB and UPN networks will shut down this fall and be replaced by a new network; CW. CW will carry content from both the old networks.

CW = Cbs/Warner.

They didn't call it WC because that could bring the term Water Closet to mind

Dr. Mordrid
                        Dr. Mordrid
                        ----------------------------
                        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

WUPN would have been a better choice

Comment

Disney and Pixar has a looooooong partnership (first featured Disney film that incorporated pixar effects was The Rescuers: Down Under, which was launched in 1989, I think.) and the previous co-operational deal was ending so, I see this as a move that pixar wanted to do as much as Disney.

besides Disney definetely knows where the money is. Many europeans went to see Ghibli's animations, because they wanted to protest Disney making own style films. too bad that 90% of these didn't check out who distributes Ghibli's movies in Europe.

..yep, that's right. Disney.

in any case, I don't see this changing much in near future. Disney has given up about 70% of 2D animation side, so as sad it is, 2D is going to be rare speciality soon. (Dreamworks already shut down their 2D division.) while I like computer generated animations, the variety of used techniques in 2D movies (especially in last few ones, like Spirit: Stallion of Cimarron) made them really masterpieces. (*nappe's rant* which again, this generation of "wow of 15 seconds" didn't care about, because it would have need a consentrating more than 30 seconds.*nappe's rant off*)

traditional western animation is turning in to total computer generated production, while japanese studios are using CG as a tool make animation world look more as faerytale.

I am a bit worried to see western studios put all forces to compete in CG. such a small sector competition cannot be good for the whole business in long term. of course we get even more high quality CG effects and stuff, but the animation is so much about everything else as well.)
                            "Dippadai"

Comment

Working...
                            X