new phone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new phone

I am posting this from my new pda phone. Sprint ppc-6700. evdo @ 700+ kbps, bluetooth, wifi, ms windows mobile 5, and a big arse keyboard (comparitively). me am are is happy.

Now ... to get opera working on it.

link: http://www.sprint.com/business/produ...lPcsPhones.jsp
    Last edited by Jammrock; 17 January 2006, 20:30.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I'd love to be able to post from my smartphone (Audiovox SMT5600), but the freaking data plans up in Canada are awful. There are no unlimited data plans, and the closest to it is 100MB/month for $100. For $7/month you can get a whopping 1MB of data, with additional data at $.02/KB ($20/MB).

There's no way I'm paying those rates...
    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I have the unique advantage of being an employee, so I get unlimited data for not much at all.

[gratuitous work pimpage]

As for data plans:

Save on incredible benefits every month. Learn about unlimited plans, 5G internet & more.

Don't know what the personal data plans are in Canada though, but I know Sprint offers unlimited data plans. One of the CDMA advantages

[/gratuitous work pimpage]
      “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
      –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Wonder if they have special plans for ex-employees
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Looks snazzy. I'm in the market for my next phone...I was leaning towards treo 700, but I'm open to options...especially after the treo 600 issues i've had.

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
            There are no unlimited data plans, and the closest to it is 100MB/month for $100. For $7/month you can get a whopping 1MB of data, with additional data at $.02/KB ($20/MB).
            Here in Belgium (on Mobistar) the rate (on top of the subscription) for GPRS data is:
            6 € for 2 MB (protocol limited: only web)
            15 € for 10 MB (no protocol limitation)

I have the latter, and it works ok.
            Only thing is that my phones browser appears to crash when I try to submit a reply to MURC.
            (checking out other browsers for it)

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I just checked Opera Mini. It is a nice, free browser BUT it doesn't use the standard web port (80).
              Consequently, I have to use my ISP access point instead of the 'normal' access point (normally, it wouldn't make a difference, but the 'normal' access point is free in January. Also, every month there are a number of free sessions using the 'normal' access point.

Apparently, Opera Mini connects to an Opera server which fetches the page for you. The page is then compressed and sent to the mini browser (yielding much less traffic - according to Opera).

Jörg
              pixar

Comment

There is a thread about Opera mini in which I explain it. You're correct
                There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                  There is a thread about Opera mini in which I explain it. You're correct
                  Of course, it is very odd that Opera mini is free, whereas the true Opera browser for mobile phones (which doesn't use Opera's infrastructure) is not free...

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

I think they're trying to sell the service to the mobile providers, and giving it for free for a while might be a publicity move, to get as many people as possible to try and like it, and either upgrade to a full version of opera for their next phone or maybe they'll cancel the free service after a while, hoping that users will request it from their providers who'll then buy it from opera. I don't know

Jammrock: http://www.opera.com/products/mobile.../winmobileppc/

Beta for Windows Mobile was just released

Comment

Yes... but why would I pay for a version that doensn't compress the data, if I can have a free version that does...?

Don't know about the situation in Germany, but I don't have the impression the providers listen to their customers. The only incenteive for the providers might be that it generates less traffic, thus being allowing them to offer relatively fast internet with a relatively low true capacity.

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

VJ: Because you're less flexible and because Opera mini is really only a bare-bones browser. It doesn't support a lot of dynamic content.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                          VJ: Because you're less flexible and because Opera mini is really only a bare-bones browser. It doesn't support a lot of dynamic content.
                          Providers here only allow connections on post 80, the mini browser is unusable for most users.

The traffic compression works perfectly, and I'd have to loose this. And I could post this with the mini browser (not with the default one).

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Yeah, but MURC isn't exactly a WebApp.

Comment

True... But the standard browser has problems with it (it crashes when I try to post something). I don't see me (or many regular users for that matter) needing than this type of web-access.

Euhm: does the full Opera browser still support compressing the pages? (as that works extremely well: a page in Opera mini WITH images is half the size of a page in the default browser WITHOUT images )

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X