Good cheap stereo soundcard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good cheap stereo soundcard?

I'm looking for a new soundcard. First priorities are price and sound quality. I only need stereo output, line in, mic in, digital out would be nice. Don't care for any supplied software and would prefer simple, small drivers that work. WinXP, PCI or USB.
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Originally posted by az
    I'm looking for a new soundcard. First priorities are price and sound quality. I only need stereo output, line in, mic in, digital out would be nice. Don't care for any supplied software and would prefer simple, small drivers that work. WinXP, PCI or USB.
    Well, most of the good cards these days offer all the surround stuff whether you want it or not. The Creative XFi has been getting rave reviews. Don't know how the drivers are for the XFi line though.

The Sound Blaster product range has an audio upgrade solution – internal and external—for every setup. Don’t stop at stunning visuals. Redefine your audio experience with Sound Blaster.

The M-Audio Revolution is a bit cheaper and say sounds just as good as any mainstream sound card.

There's always the Turtle Beach stuff: http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/products/audioadv/

There's always Echo Digital Audio, who specializes in professional grade sound. The MiaMIDI even has a break-out cable thing (though I can't figure out if it's for input or output, or can be used for either). It only handles stereo, and supposedly does it very well. Never heard a MiaMIDI, but I have an Indigo for my laptop and Doc swears by Echo for PC audio. Runs a little bit more than an Xfi online.

Without going into the extreme high-end professional stuff, those are probably going to be your best bang for the buck.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Not exactly cheap

I think Turtle Beach isn't available in germany (or maybe under another name?).

5.1 isn't needed, but it's not prohibitive either

Comment

the turtle beach santa cruz was available in austria. still sitting in my pc.

mfg
        wulfman
        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
        "Lobsters?"
        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

You could look for a used Audigy 2 on eBay. Get one of those cheap and it will suffice. If you want to go super cheap ... There are various USB thumb (meaning about the size of your themb) sound cards. Turtlr Beach makes one for $30 USD, and I've seen them for as low as $20.

Turtle Beach offers tournament-grade Xbox™ Gaming Headsets, Parts and Accessories. Play at your very best. Hear Everything. Defeat Everyone.

I even found one from an online german retailer:

Lieferant für Computer Musik Produkte namhafter Musiksoftware- und Hardware-Hersteller. Gegründet 1986.

They carry regular Turtle Beach stuff, too.

Lieferant für Computer Musik Produkte namhafter Musiksoftware- und Hardware-Hersteller. Gegründet 1986.

for 5 marks more:

Comment

I've seen these sticks for <15 EUR on eBay including shipping. I just don't trust their sound quality. I'll mostly be listening through my Sennheiser HD 595, it would be a bit of a waste to do that through a low quality soundcard. Currently I use a Terratec 6fire 24/96, but that's my ex's.

Comment

Sorry for the hijack, but I'm also looking for a cheap soundcard, but I need one with DD 5.1 and optical out. What do you recommend for that?

I'm finally going to buy some rear speakers for the HT setup, so I also need an optical connection from the HTPC. Just using analog stereo right now...
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I'd look for cards based on VIA Envy24 chipset.
                "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism."

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                  Sorry for the hijack, but I'm also looking for a cheap soundcard, but I need one with DD 5.1 and optical out. What do you recommend for that?

I'm finally going to buy some rear speakers for the HT setup, so I also need an optical connection from the HTPC. Just using analog stereo right now...
                  A digital output from the sound card will do the exact same thing be it on copper or on fiber. Most sound cards will do digital out on copper. The fancy soundblaster series cards will do optical out via their break out boxes, but there is no benefit from using it, other than it being cool .
                  We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

There is a big benefit to optical when your cable box is using the only coax input on your receiver. I've only got optical inputs remaining.

The cable box is coax only, so the sound card has to be optical... or else I could go buy a new receiver, but that would just be silly.
                    Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Originally posted by agallag
                      There is a big benefit to optical when your cable box is using the only coax input on your receiver. I've only got optical inputs remaining.
                      Converters can be had for ~$30.
                      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                        I've seen these sticks for <15 EUR on eBay including shipping. I just don't trust their sound quality. I'll mostly be listening through my Sennheiser HD 595, it would be a bit of a waste to do that through a low quality soundcard. Currently I use a Terratec 6fire 24/96, but that's my ex's.
                        Grumble grumble grumble...what exactly IS your price range? If you want something that can seriously push your 595's you're looking at >$100USD to do it right ... simply because you need something with a good headphone amp to handle the headphones.
                        Last edited by Jammrock; 16 January 2006, 16:11.

Comment

I have built myself a chu moy headphone amp. While not exactly high end, I don't think it is any worse (probably better) than headphone amps in even expensive breakout boxes (IF they do have headphone amps and not just a pot across their line out). Assuming this is true, I just need a card with good line out. And if it's not true, please tell me so

I am happy (mostly) with the 6fire (Envy24 non-HT chip, breakout box, drivers mostly just work if I don't want fancy game 3d sound, which I don't) - but it's not mine anymore and is going to her.

Comment

Chaintech AV-710.

Based on Envy (thogh that alone isn't enough for high quality audio), and two of it's 5.1 outputs (default rear I believe, but you can reconfigure that) are using very high quality Wolfson DAC. (the card also has digital) And cheap: ~25€
                            Last edited by Nowhere; 16 January 2006, 19:53.

Comment

The fortissimo cards (3 and 4) have a dedicated headphone out(and digital), my brother got the 3 and the headphone out is great(he uses sennhiesers).
                              I just orderded the 4 (envy24ht based), shoudl have the same quality headphone out(for my senhiesers)

The M-Audio Audiophile 2496 is stereo only, very good stereo at that if a tad expensive (envy based as well)

Comment

Working...
                              X